Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Cobra Air Intake just to get rid of the bulky stock airbox. I am not looking to gain power and I intend to keep the stock exhaust as is. So my question to you guys: does the fueling needs to be adjusted once I install the Cobra? And if yes, how much $$? And last but not least for those of you in Socal: where?
Thanks 馃檪

Registered
Bought a Cobra Air Intake just to get rid of the bulky stock airbox. I am not looking to gain power and I intend to keep the stock exhaust as is. So my question to you guys: does the fueling needs to be adjusted once I install the Cobra? And if yes, how much $$? And last but not least for those of you in Socal: where?
Thanks 馃檪
FWIW, I installed a Kuryachyn Velociraptor ( w/ a KN filter ) intake over 4,000 miles ago and left the exhaust alone, along with no adjustments to the fuel/air settings. I checked the spark plugs and posted some pics on here a little while back and the general consensus was that it was running lean, but not too lean. I like the look and love the added throaty sound! I believe that you will be fine as long as you're not changing the exhaust.
I say put her on and don't look back.
Good luck! Jevers

Attachments

Registered
Thanks 馃檪
Same experience as jevers. I put 4K miles on an open air K&N intake with stock exhaust. IMHO our plugs were burning just fine, and you will notice a considerable increase in performance.
I have since had Ivan's reflash and have only run about 25 miles with it. Can't wait for the weather to break!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 馃檪
FWIW, I installed a Kuryachyn Velociraptor ( w/ a KN filter ) intake over 4,000 miles ago and left the exhaust alone, along with no adjustments to the fuel/air settings. I checked the spark plugs and posted some pics on here a little while back and the general consensus was that it was running lean, but not too lean. I like the look and love the added throaty sound! I believe that you will be fine as long as you're not changing the exhaust.
I say put her on and don't look back.
Good luck! Jevers
Thanks 馃檪
Same experience as jevers. I put 4K miles on an open air K&N intake with stock exhaust. IMHO our plugs were burning just fine, and you will notice a considerable increase in performance.
I have since had Ivan's reflash and have only run about 25 miles with it. Can't wait for the weather to break!
Thanks guys for your feedback. Cobra AI landing soon. Cant wait!

Registered
Thanks 馃檪
It shouldn鈥檛, the EFI system should manage that automatically as the MAS senses how much air is coming through the throat and adjusts everything accordingly in consideration of what the O2 sensor in the exhaust indicates.

Registered
Please post a pic or two when you get her on! Also, I am curious about how much thinner the Cobra is compared to the stock filter.
jevers, I will asap.
By the way your two plugs...what's there to understand, except than one is really dirty and smaller than the clean one...dumb Q but had to ask
Thanks, I am not COMPLETELY satisfied with how far out my new intake sticks out. Thinking about taking a loss on mine and buying a
" skinnier " one. I laid the dirty SCR
plug next to a new one ( not the right size) just for comparison. Not a dumb question! I didn't explain it. Jevers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cobra airbox installed but question

At last, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Cobra airbox is up and running. One Q though: the hose! instruction said disconnect and remove.. i reconnected it to the new plate since it comes woth a tip. Right or wrong? A couple shots for you guys, front and side. Let me know if you want more.

Attachments

Registered
At last, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Cobra airbox is up and running. One Q though: the hose! instruction said disconnect and remove.. i reconnected it to the new plate since it comes woth a tip. Right or wrong? A couple shots for you guys, front and side. Let me know if you want more.
Looking good! That is the same intake I was going to get. Yes, personally I would have reattached the hose as well. Could you now measure the depth of the filter? From where it mounts to the throttle body outward to the face of the filter. Thanks! Jevers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Jevers the distance from the outer edge of the cobra and the throttle body mount is 3.5 inches. I am 6ft with boots on and i no longer touch the air filter no matter how close to the tank I seat. Never tried this mod before and i must say i enjoy the more generous air intake and the big cat purring-growling sound.

Attachments

Registered
Jevers the distance from the outer edge of the cobra and the throttle body mount is 3.5 inches. I am 6ft with boots on and i no longer touch the air filter no matter how close to the tank I seat. Never tried this mod before and i must say i enjoy the more generous air intake and the big cat purring-growling sound.
Hey man, thanks for sharing that info. Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised also when I first fired her up with the new air cleaner. So pleased in fact, that I'm not going to change out the exhaust. Thanks again! Jevers

Registered
Hey man, thanks for sharing that info. Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised also when I first fired her up with the new air cleaner. So pleased in fact, that I'm not going to change out the exhaust. Thanks again! Jevers
Do it

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I've been telling myself too!

Registered
2017 Yamaha SCR950 2011 Kimco 160 Scooter
Just purchased my SCR950 in July. A 2017 with only 1,200 miles. I noticed in this thread you installed a Ivan鈥檚 reflash. How did that workout? Can it pass smmmmmog? Thomas鈥.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts