Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Tank Removal.....

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  SCRBen 
#1 · (Edited)
I removed the tank today, so I could fit my sat nav, ready for my trip in Sept. I couldn’t find a guide on here - there’s sort of one on the Bolt forum, so I used that and the manual, and the picture attached as reference for what I’d find under the tank, and cracked on! Maybe others will need to do it to fit gadgets, or check valves etc. Here’s what I found out......

First of all.....disconnect the battery, and undo the two bolts at the rear of the tank (near the seat)......

Discussion starter · #2 · (Edited)
Disconnect the fuel hose on the left, as per these pictures. You’ll lose a little fuel (maybe half a cup) but not much - I didn’t drain the tank, but it is almost empty.

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
Disconnect the hose at front-left of the tank (easy to do - can’t remember what it is - fuel return hose, maybe - but barely any fuel is lost from it)

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
You can lift the tank a little more now, and start to wiggle it backwards. Next you need to undo the blue switch on the pic below, which goes in the back of the fuel pump. You just need to push it in - easy to do.

Discussion starter · #5 · (Edited)
The most awkward part is the fuel sender lead (I think it is), at the rear of the tank. This was mainly because I thought you needed to lift the tab (a la the O2 connector on the exhaust) - you actually need to push it - see the pics!

It’s actually attached by a little plastic bung to the tank mounting bracket at the rear (the one I undid the bolts for in the first step) and then routed around the perimeter of the tank in a pretty weird fashion.

It’ll be easier next time tho!! :grin2:

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
And that should be it - off it comes!!
Christ - there’s a lot of **** hidden under a modern fuel tank! Although, TBF, a fair bit of it is the ABS leads which many of you won’t have in the US.

Anyway, hope this is of use sometime.
Ben

Reactions: Schu
Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tutorial! Could be helpful for me in the future. I'd love to get another tank to experiment and make it a raw steel finish. Would anyone know by any chance if the bolt tank fits on the SCR (if so do you know for what model years) ? Would be great to know, thanks!
Pass!! They look pretty similar (see below), but can’t say I’ve ever seen it done before. If you could get close to a Bolt, I guess you could have a look around it, and see if all the connectors from my pictures above look similar? That would provide no concrete answers tho........sorry!
Ben

Discussion starter · #12 · (Edited)
Found one for sale in the UK, and the underside looks pretty similar. You’d need to move the fuel pump from one to the other though (unless you found one that still had it attached?)
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.