Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my not so often attempts to humor you guys regarding my experiences with the entire motorcycle and SCR950 thing, I give to you my experience from last week.

Many of you live in areas of the world in which you can take your SCR out and enjoy not just straight stretches for 100 meters, but long windy roads, hills, mountain climbs, off road trails and other interesting roads in which you can ride and have fun for hours....

I live in Chicago...

downtown...

by the lake...

It is flat.

The city is built on a grid with only 6 streets that are not N,S,E,W. That is right, in a city of 3 million people around 6 streets that are not part of a grid....and they are dead straight too. The curve on Lake Shore Drive, 5000 N Damen and a ramdom road in a forest preserve are about the only curves I can think of that you can hot 30mph on.

Did I mention it is flat? It is so flat I taught my kids to ride a sled on the back of the Ulysses S Grant statue across from the zoo. Seriously. Riding through the entire city the only change in elevation are the bridges and parking garages. Almost all the bridges are that steel mesh in which your tires want to track all sorts of different ways and that is no fun at all over 10mph. So the other day I was out on an errand and the GF sends me a message to pick up something she is missing for dinner. I live within walking distance to a grocery store, but I was out on the bike so I picked one a few minutes away to ride to...and lo and behold... the parking lot is above the store! A RAMP! I have owned the bike a year now and it was my first hill. I went up and down (it had a curve too!) 45 times! Practiced all sorts of stuff, turning while accelerating going up ...never get that chance in Chicago. Engine braking going downhill, why yes, I will take some of that too! It was one of those little things in life that made my day.

So then the other day I once again needed to hit the grocery store, but I was home and was about to walk there...and I realize...this one also is a park-on-the roof design.... another ramp! WOOHOO!!! So off I go on the bike, take the long way around the block and hit the pargking garage entrance, oh this is going to be so fun!

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!

Speed bumps, lots of them. Those plastic, teeth jarring ones designed to keep repair shops in business forever. The party was over quickly. So I ride to the top, park, do my business in the store.

I also bought a sandwich in the store and since it the sun was out, I thought I would just lean up against my bike and eat it right there. The lot was not crowded and I had a nice spot by myself in the non busy side, so I did. 10 minutes of peace and food with just me and my bike.

If you can remember the subject I wrote above, good for you! If you can't, I was referencing about how these SCRs are so rare. With my own eyes, I have seen only one other. A Bolt here and there, but just 1 single gray SCR950 on Lake Shore Drive, and he pulled up next to me at a light, then rode off like a boss.

So still in the lot and having just finished my sandwich, a dull gray minivan approaches me, I am not near any door or ramp so it was strange. This being Chicago, when someone approaches you and its not expected, you are on guard. If this guys door had opened, I would have been reaching for the steel.

Instead of having brains splattered all over the place and having years of legal trouble...the man rolls down his window and excitedly asks.. "Is that the SCR950!?!?!?!?!!!!"

Why yes it is! So now he gets out, he is about 60 and has a 7 or so year old boy and they both start asking questions... how I like it, how does it ride, power, mods, yada yada yada. So he says his son wants to buy one and pulls out the phone and shows me picture of a gray one for sale in the burbs that may get bought that day. Cool!

So I am thinking to myself, oh this small world is just so much fun. I have only seen one last year and now a random guy and his grandkid have struck up a conversation about mine. Then he thanks me and says "Nice to talk with you, I am glad you were just sitting here as the other guy was not with his bike." Wait...what? So he says, "yeah, I was looking at the one parked over there, its the same as yours..." Like no, there is not a SCR950 over there, I for sure would have seen it and there are just not that many around to have another on the roof of this grocery store.

So I bid the gentleman and kid adieu, and ride across the lot to see this "other bike." Sure as sh*t, there was another SCR950, red, just like mine. What the hell! No references to a SCR in a year, and two within 5 minutes???????

This one had a temporary plate on it but had the air and exhaust mod and looked great. I waited around for a bit, but it was time to go. So whomever you are, in my hood, with the same bike, I am here, lets ride!

Mine is on the right. The "new guy/gals bike" on the left.

So there is my story for the day, hope you enjoyed!

Can anyone tell me what is the difference in our forks at the top of them? @Krixtoph ??

Reactions: Schu

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So in my not so often attempts to humor you guys regarding my experiences with the entire motorcycle and SCR950 thing, I give to you my experience from last week.

Many of you live in areas of the world in which you can take your SCR out and enjoy not just straight stretches for 100 meters, but long windy roads, hills, mountain climbs, off road trails and other interesting roads in which you can ride and have fun for hours....

I live in Chicago...

downtown...

by the lake...

It is flat.

The city is built on a grid with only 6 streets that are not N,S,E,W. That is right, in a city of 3 million people around 6 streets that are not part of a grid....and they are dead straight too. The curve on Lake Shore Drive, 5000 N Damen and a ramdom road in a forest preserve are about the only curves I can think of that you can hot 30mph on.

Did I mention it is flat? It is so flat I taught my kids to ride a sled on the back of the Ulysses S Grant statue across from the zoo. Seriously. Riding through the entire city the only change in elevation are the bridges and parking garages. Almost all the bridges are that steel mesh in which your tires want to track all sorts of different ways and that is no fun at all over 10mph. So the other day I was out on an errand and the GF sends me a message to pick up something she is missing for dinner. I live within walking distance to a grocery store, but I was out on the bike so I picked one a few minutes away to ride to...and lo and behold... the parking lot is above the store! A RAMP! I have owned the bike a year now and it was my first hill. I went up and down (it had a curve too!) 45 times! Practiced all sorts of stuff, turning while accelerating going up ...never get that chance in Chicago. Engine braking going downhill, why yes, I will take some of that too! It was one of those little things in life that made my day.

So then the other day I once again needed to hit the grocery store, but I was home and was about to walk there...and I realize...this one also is a park-on-the roof design.... another ramp! WOOHOO!!! So off I go on the bike, take the long way around the block and hit the pargking garage entrance, oh this is going to be so fun!

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!

Speed bumps, lots of them. Those plastic, teeth jarring ones designed to keep repair shops in business forever. The party was over quickly. So I ride to the top, park, do my business in the store.

I also bought a sandwich in the store and since it the sun was out, I thought I would just lean up against my bike and eat it right there. The lot was not crowded and I had a nice spot by myself in the non busy side, so I did. 10 minutes of peace and food with just me and my bike.

If you can remember the subject I wrote above, good for you! If you can't, I was referencing about how these SCRs are so rare. With my own eyes, I have seen only one other. A Bolt here and there, but just 1 single gray SCR950 on Lake Shore Drive, and he pulled up next to me at a light, then rode off like a boss.

So still in the lot and having just finished my sandwich, a dull gray minivan approaches me, I am not near any door or ramp so it was strange. This being Chicago, when someone approaches you and its not expected, you are on guard. If this guys door had opened, I would have been reaching for the steel.

Instead of having brains splattered all over the place and having years of legal trouble...the man rolls down his window and excitedly asks.. "Is that the SCR950!?!?!?!?!!!!"

Why yes it is! So now he gets out, he is about 60 and has a 7 or so year old boy and they both start asking questions... how I like it, how does it ride, power, mods, yada yada yada. So he says his son wants to buy one and pulls out the phone and shows me picture of a gray one for sale in the burbs that may get bought that day. Cool!

So I am thinking to myself, oh this small world is just so much fun. I have only seen one last year and now a random guy and his grandkid have struck up a conversation about mine. Then he thanks me and says "Nice to talk with you, I am glad you were just sitting here as the other guy was not with his bike." Wait...what? So he says, "yeah, I was looking at the one parked over there, its the same as yours..." Like no, there is not a SCR950 over there, I for sure would have seen it and there are just not that many around to have another on the roof of this grocery store.

So I bid the gentleman and kid adieu, and ride across the lot to see this "other bike." Sure as sh*t, there was another SCR950, red, just like mine. What the hell! No references to a SCR in a year, and two within 5 minutes???????

This one had a temporary plate on it but had the air and exhaust mod and looked great. I waited around for a bit, but it was time to go. So whomever you are, in my hood, with the same bike, I am here, lets ride!
View attachment 17962

Can anyone tell me what is the difference in our forks at the top of them? @Krixtoph ??
Great story! I have yet to see another SCR on the road and I have had mine since 2017. So glad to know that Krixtophs bike is till making smiles and being cared for. I believe the difference in forks is that Krix installed the clean and lean LED ring style indicators.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I think you can just see the mount for his/her screen......?

Ha - brilliant story. And what are the odds, eh?! Chicago is obviously THE town for SCR action.

We may get a 3-way SCR meet-up in the U.K. soon, if we ever get our asses in gear, that is. But that would be organised ..... a random meeting like yours......gotta be unlikely.

Keep em coming.

Ben

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Great story! I have yet to see another SCR on the road and I have had mine since 2017. So glad to know that Krixtophs bike is till making smiles and being cared for. I believe the difference in forks is that Krix installed the clean and lean LED ring style indicators.
Ha - jinx. Online and replying at the same time. :) How you doing @Schu?

Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.....I believe the difference in forks is that Krix installed the clean and lean LED ring style indicators.
Thanks, anyway, I mean in this picture, the black ring (the LEDs are at the top and not what I am talking about) is low on mine and high on the other.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ha - jinx. Online and replying at the same time. :) How you doing @Schu?

Ben
I'm do well Ben. I need to gather up some ambition and remove my wheels so I can get my Avon tires mounted that you highly recommended. I might actually wait till the end of the season as there is still some meat left on the originals. I don't ride as much as I used to. I believe I am coming up on 8,000 miles soon.

I am trying to get my two boys to join me for a ride into northern Michigan to spend a weekend at my daughters house. It would be a 5 hour ride if we avoid freeways. They both lead busy lives and we just can't seem to pull it together where they both can get away on the same weekend. I told them I'm not going unless it's all three of us. Maybe I'll just pack some clothes and ride it on my own one of these nice weather weekends........

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I'm do well Ben. I need to gather up some ambition and remove my wheels so I can get my Avon tires mounted that you highly recommended. I might actually wait till the end of the season as there is still some meat left on the originals. I don't ride as much as I used to. I believe I am coming up on 8,000 miles soon.
Christ.....no pressure then! :oops: I hope they live up to expectations......

On the other hand, compared to the OEMs, I can’t lose......:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I’m not getting out so much at the moment either. The SCRs coming up on 10k now, but with the little man to look after, work, C19, opportunities are just few and far between. Ah well.....

That ride with your lads sounds good though - you should pull out all the stops to do that 👍

Keep safe my friend.

Ben

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Christ.....no pressure then! :oops: I hope they live up to expectations......

On the other hand, compared to the OEMs, I can’t lose......:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I’m not getting out so much at the moment either. The SCRs coming up on 10k now, but with the little man to look after, work, C19, opportunities are just few and far between. Ah well.....

That ride with your lads sounds good though - you should pull out all the stops to do that 👍

Keep safe my friend.

Ben
It would be an interesting mix of bikes if we do take the ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did you get 8000 miles out of the factory tires?
I have 2000 miles on my scr and the tires are worn half way out already, the front is scalped and the back is squared off.
I found metzeler tourance next tires on sale for a really good price and bought them to replace my tires when they're done in a couple 1000 more miles, I'll be lucky to get 4000 miles out of the tires.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have 2000 miles on my scr and the tires are worn half way out already, the front is scalped and the back is squared off.
I found metzeler tourance next tires on sale for a really good price and bought them to replace my tires when they're done in a couple 1000 more miles, I'll be lucky to get 4000 miles out of the tires.
My front tire has worn scalped or chopped as well. I don't quite have 8k on them yet, but That's probably where I will be when I finally mount the new meats on it. And my back tire is squared off as well. I must be a passive rider because the chicken strips are quite obvious and have yet to drag my pegs even once. Michigan is pretty flat and our local roads are mainly grid patterns unless you make a point of mapping out a specific route with some minor twisties.

·
Registered
252 Posts

I live in Chicago...

downtown...

by the lake...

It is flat.

View attachment 17962

Pretty much what everyone else said: I swapped the turn signals for clean looking LED strips, and the other bracket you see is from the fairing.

You do know that Lake Shore Drive is super close to you, and it gets fairly twisty in spots. Don't forget that you can go up and down the Skyway for a little elevation! Start exploring a little, or head a little north passed Evanston for a change of scenery.

I wonder if that other bike is from Chinatown. I sold an underseat storage tote to someone down there a couple years ago. The SCR's are definitely rare but seem to be changing hands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How experiences differ!
After 6,000 miles the originals were barely scraped. 5,000 has been the norm for almost any tyres on any bike in my owning experience hence the SCR's originals had me scratching my head. Whilst not being able to fault them particularly I decided they were responsible for much of the vibration and swopped them for Metezeler Tourances.
Hence 2,000 miles of relative comfort so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed the stock tires at 3000 miles, the front was scalped badly and the rear squared off a bit, I would have run the rear longer but the front was handling pretty bad.
We have nothing but chipped sealed roads around here, they're harder on tires than smooth pavement.
I have 2000 miles on the tourance next tires now, they're great, smoother and quicker turning than the stockers while still working ok on dirt roads. The rear is just starting to show some wear and the front is like new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put metzeler tourance next tires on mine, they were on sale and work great.
The scr takes the same size tires as a lot of adventure bikes, there's lots of good tires to pick from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts