Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ordering new tires for spring.
I had been running The Shinko 805/804's at the stock tire size.
I'm thinking about getting a differnt tire this time and its only available in 150/70-17.

Has anyone experimented with different tire sizes?

Any reason to think that 150 would be a problem?
I dont want it to be to big for the rim you know?
Im 10mm wouldnt hurt right?
People put huge tires on stuff all the time? Lol

Any advice would be great.

Highly recommend the Shinko 805's.
Very soft and do only last 5,000 miles or so on the street. But they look super cool and have great street traction for a knobby.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I put the widest tires I could find while maintaining the oem height so as not to mess up the speedo reading. I am so computer illiterate that I can't even find my own post. Even worse, I can't remember if I even posted one at the time! It's actually easier to grab a flashlight, go out to the garage and take a few pictures of the tires. I will post them later. That is... if I remember to! Jevers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my new 150/70-17 tire in the mail today. It looks pretty fat. Lol
I'm sure it'll be fine. Its mostly for aesthetic. Haha
I use my SCR mostly as a commuter bike.

Now I'm kinda thinking I should have stepped up the front too to a 110 over the stock 100.
I'll see what it looks like. I'll need new tires in like 4,000 mipes anyways. Lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok, here are the widest tires that I could find at that time. You will find that you are limited to a small selection of tires due to the size. Both tires are
Michelin Commander ll
Front tire size 100/90 B19
Still room to go nearly 1" wider overall
(1/2" on each side)
Rear tire size 160/70 B17
Still room to go nearly 1.5" wider overall
( 3/4" on each side)
Although I wanted wider, they do fill out the fenders much better than the stock tires. Good luck with your search! Jevers

·
Registered
72 Posts
The SCR has the same swingarm and rear fender as the bolt.
The bolt comes with a 160 rear tire stock and guys put 180's on them.
Putting a 150/70/17 on an SCR is gonna be totally fine. The 150 is a more common size, that's what on a lot of adv bikes.
You could fit a 170/60/17 if you wanted to but the stock rim is a bit skinny for it making it more pointy or rounded than normal so there's no point as it wont last or bite any better than the 150.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SCR has the same swingarm and rear fender as the bolt.
The bolt comes with a 160 rear tire stock and guys put 180's on them.
Putting a 150/70/17 on an SCR is gonna be totally fine. The 150 is a more common size, that's what on a lot of adv bikes.
You could fit a 170/60/17 if you wanted to but the stock rim is a bit skinny for it making it more pointy or rounded than normal so there's no point as it wont last or bite any better than the 150.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.
I saw somone else say they had to raise their front fender if they went any bigger than a 110.

I noticed the Bolt came with a 160, but is it the same rim? I thought the Bolt had a 16" rear tire?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes the bolt has a 16 inch rim but it has a taller profile tire.
The 160/80/16 tire on the bolt is pretty much the same size as a 160/70/17, the 140/80/17 stock SCR tire is skinnier than those but the same height. Technically a 150/70/17 is a 1/2 inch shorter than the stock 140/80/17 but will round up a hair more and be really close. Tire sizes vary by brand enough these are just close guesses, one brands 150 is the same as an others 160 some times but there's enough room to spare any 150 or 160 will fit.

The front fender is really close to a 110 front tire I hear. I stuck with the stock 100/90 but I've seen pics of SCR's with 110 shinko 705's so they do fit.
There's no reason to go bigger on the front IMO, the 100/90/19 is a common size and steers quicker than the fatter fronts. Skinnier is also better in dirt if you ride on dirt at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was ordering new tires for spring.
I had been running The Shinko 805/804's at the stock tire size.
I'm thinking about getting a differnt tire this time and its only available in 150/70-17.

Has anyone experimented with different tire sizes?

Any reason to think that 150 would be a problem?
I dont want it to be to big for the rim you know?
Im 10mm wouldnt hurt right?
People put huge tires on stuff all the time? Lol

Any advice would be great.

Highly recommend the Shinko 805's.
Very soft and do only last 5,000 miles or so on the street. But they look super cool and have great street traction for a knobby.
Metzeler Roadtec 01 last 10,000 miles come in stock and about all sizes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts