Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace tires on my SCR950. Do not want the original tires again as the noise they make when i must ride expressways. Anyone have experience with Metzler Roadtec tires? Also let me know if you have any recommendations.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Need to replace tires on my SCR950. Do not want the original tires again as the noise they make when i must ride expressways. Anyone have experience with Metzler Roadtec tires? Also let me know if you have any recommendations.
Avon Trailriders.....can’t recommend them enough. No noise when on the tarmac, and still look in keeping with the scrambler ‘vibe’.

KTM are also now fitting them as stock to a number of their award-winning middleweights, so that tells you something.....

Agreed, the OEM rubber is garbage. I almost binned it on my initial test ride, going around a roundabout in the rain (so, not pushing it by any means). And yes, they howled something horrendous at speed.

Ben

Note - no pinched gators on this pic 🤣

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Avon Trailriders.....can’t recommend them enough. No noise when on the tarmac, and still look in keeping with the scrambler ‘vibe’.

View attachment 17881

KTM are also now fitting them as stock to a number of their award-winning middleweights, so that tells you something.....

Agreed, the OEM rubber is garbage. I almost binned it on my initial test ride, going around a roundabout in the rain (so, not pushing it by any means). And yes, they howled something horrendous at speed.

Ben

Note - no pinched gators on this pic 🤣
Ok Ben. I am going to follow your recommendation on the Avon Trailriders. Did you go with exact same size as the original tires? Oh wait.... tyres.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got about 5k miles on a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure tires and they're great. I ride primarily on the street/highway but will occasionally go exploring for dirt roads and rip around on them. The traction is great through corners and they don't make any discernible noise on the pavement at any speed that the bike is capable of.

The times I've had it on dirt roads it felt planted and confidence inspiring, granted these are just dirt backroads with solidly packed dirt/gravel. I once even explored a random dirt bike trail off of a road through a pine forest and it did just fine until it got a little too rough and I turned it around.

I've even been so lucky as to get caught in a very heavy torrential downpour and rode several exits in monsoon-like conditions before pulling off to take a longer, slower route home and encountering a lightning storm, man did that make me feel alive.

They have a softer compound of rubber on the edges/sides and a harder compound down the middle to resist wear commonly associated with highway cruising. Keep in mind, these definitely don't look like an aggressive adventure tire but they look aggressive enough to still fit with the scrambler style of the bike.

After 5k miles, the front looks almost new and the back has definitely worn some but it's ready for another season. There are some great review videos on YouTube, apparently I'm not the only one who likes them.

Here's a good video about them on Revzilla.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ok Ben. I am going to follow your recommendation on the Avon Trailriders. Did you go with exact same size as the original tires? Oh wait.... tyres.
I think you have to spell it “tyres” in reference to Avons, as they are British. 🤣

Yep, I went with standard sizes.

Don’t hold me responsible though - it seems everyone has different experiences of ‘tires’!

I remember having a debate with @eddie re the Michelins mentioned above:

.....they get some pretty poor write ups in the U.K., but others love them, so who knows? I struggled to find a bad review of the Avons though (I’m sure I could, if I tried.....), but the price was also better too.

I think anything would be better than stock, TBH.

Are Avons readily available over there, anyway?

Ben

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think you have to spell it “tyres” in reference to Avons, as they are British. 🤣

Yep, I went with standard sizes.

Don’t hold me responsible though - it seems everyone has different experiences of ‘tires’!

I remember having a debate with @eddie re the Michelins mentioned above:

.....they get some pretty poor write ups in the U.K., but others love them, so who knows? I struggled to find a bad review of the Avons though (I’m sure I could, if I tried.....), but the price was also better too.

I think anything would be better than stock, TBH.

Are Avons readily available over there, anyway?

Ben
I can order them on line from RevZilla, Dennis Kirk, and Chaparral with the price of the set ranging between $250 to $300

Reactions: SCRBen

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Personally, I prefer Dennis Kirk.
RevZilla $311(rear out of stock)
Dennis Kirk $284 (front out of stock)
Chaparral $263
All free shipping, and Chaparral is the only one who has both in stock right now. I can probably put it off to the end of the season. I will order them now just to have them in hand. I could get another 2 years out of the chicken strips if I just ride in circles. I have yet to scrape a foot peg. :geek:

Edit: Done...
Oh crap. British Tyres! Tread pattern? Wrong side of the road! I will just flip the rotation from what is marked so I can ride in the right lane.:geek:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
RevZilla $311(rear out of stock)
Dennis Kirk $284 (front out of stock)
Chaparral $263
All free shipping, and Chaparral is the only one who has both in stock right now. I can probably put it off to the end of the season. I will order them now just to have them in hand. I could get another 2 years out of the chicken strips if I just ride in circles. I have yet to scrape a foot peg. :geek:

Edit: Done...
Oh crap. British Tyres! Tread pattern? Wrong side of the road! I will just flip the rotation from what is marked so I can ride in the right lane.:geek:
I’m sure you’ll be fine ;)

Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts