Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning to get a new set of tires for my SCR950. I want the biggest, fattest, knobbiest knobbies that will fit on the stock rims with no clearance issues. Has anyone looked into this? All advice much appreciated. Thanks, flatrack.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Continental Motorcycle Tires TKC 80

You might have to raise the front fender up a bit.
Eddie, you are the man. I've done some reading and the TKC 80s look to be exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like they are soft and sticky on the asphalt and really hold their own off-road. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to moto tires. I assume my current Bridgestones have tubes. Do you know if I can reuse these tubes or will I need new ones? Will the newly installed tires need to be balanced? If so do you know how the weights are applied? Do you have firsthand experience with these tires? Do you know the largest size I can safely go with both front and rear? Lol, sorry for all the questions, but having the opportunity I WILL pick your brain as I value your knowledge and expertise in all things motorcycle. Oh, couple of other things I should mention, I copied your original seat mod - the inexpensive ATV seat cover. I found one on Amazon for like twenty bucks. I'm pretty sure it's identical to the one you have. I actually just got home from an 80km ride, my first with the new seat cover. It makes a difference, really does. That coupled with having the stock rear shocks on the softest setting and the ride has definately improved. Also, I think the rear springs are softening up a bit with time and use. Another thing, I successfully installed barend mirrors. Again, $20 dollar ebay cheapies. They are the 3" round ones. Was a little wary doing the throttle side but the "etching bit?" on the dremel did a precision job. I havent had them on for long but they tightened up really well and honestly they vibrate far less than the stock mirrors. I would say there is virtually no vibration at all. So yeah, thanks for all the tips and advice, I will dig into finding the correct TKC 80 tire sizes but also look forward to hearing what you have to say. In the back it looks like there is all kinds of room for a fat tire, and in the front, if I have to raise the front fender a bit that's no problem. I actually kinda look forward to it. Thanks again man, ciao.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a 170 should fit on the back. Will have to modify the rear brake line guard...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Eddie, you are the man. I've done some reading and the TKC 80s look to be exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like they are soft and sticky on the asphalt and really hold their own off-road. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to moto tires. I assume my current Bridgestones have tubes. Do you know if I can reuse these tubes or will I need new ones? Will the newly installed tires need to be balanced? If so do you know how the weights are applied? Do you have firsthand experience with these tires? Do you know the largest size I can safely go with both front and rear? Lol, sorry for all the questions, but having the opportunity I WILL pick your brain as I value your knowledge and expertise in all things motorcycle. Oh, couple of other things I should mention, I copied your original seat mod - the inexpensive ATV seat cover. I found one on Amazon for like twenty bucks. I'm pretty sure it's identical to the one you have. I actually just got home from an 80km ride, my first with the new seat cover. It makes a difference, really does. That coupled with having the stock rear shocks on the softest setting and the ride has definately improved. Also, I think the rear springs are softening up a bit with time and use. Another thing, I successfully installed barend mirrors. Again, $20 dollar ebay cheapies. They are the 3" round ones. Was a little wary doing the throttle side but the "etching bit?" on the dremel did a precision job. I havent had them on for long but they tightened up really well and honestly they vibrate far less than the stock mirrors. I would say there is virtually no vibration at all. So yeah, thanks for all the tips and advice, I will dig into finding the correct TKC 80 tire sizes but also look forward to hearing what you have to say. In the back it looks like there is all kinds of room for a fat tire, and in the front, if I have to raise the front fender a bit that's no problem. I actually kinda look forward to it. Thanks again man, ciao.

Whew!
Where to begin?
Well, the old tubes aren't "old", time-wise. I would say they can be safely reused a time or two. If you are changing tires yourself, be prepared with some spares on hand, just in case you pinch one.

Yes, the new tires need to be balanced.
The original weights are stuck on with a 3M type padded adhesive backing. I'm a fan of leaving the old weights on after installing new tires (tubed or tubeless) until the balance can be verified. It's really annoying to pull old weight off only to add new ones in the same spot. It's not often, but it happens. New weights can be the stick on kind or the old crimp around a spoke variety. Personally, the stick on kind make life easier should the balance point be between two spokes.

I have no experience with the TKC80s. They do seem to be the go-to tire, old standby with the BMW/GS, KTM ADV crowd, though. Keep in mind that they will be noisy, likely more so than the stock rubber. Since I'm going to stay on road 99% of the time, I will likely move on to some much quitter Michelin Anakee IIIs like I have on the Super Tenere. They are without a doubt the longest lasting tires I've ever tried on any bike. The current rear on the S10 is headed to 13k miles and I don't baby the bike!

Glad the seat pad & mirrors are working out. Nothing like an economical solution to a typically expensive issue!

·
Registered
884 Posts
PS: As for biggest sizes, it's usually okay to safely go up one tire size.
Any more and the rim's are too narrow and it's just wasted extra money and poorer handling..
Trouble is, the SCR950 doesn't make use of all the tire it has now.
Me? I'd save the added $ for some oil & filters or something.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for reply!
So the rear rim is a 3.5 inch (stamped J17M/CXMT3.50) and the stock rear Bridgestone is a 140 (I actually measured tire with caliper and I get 144mm). A 170 is only 30mm wider (roughly 1-1/8 inches). That's not a whole lot wider than stock - it's like 9/16" on each side. My main concern is that the rim can handle a 170 tire. Is it safe to install a 170mm TKC80 on my stock SCR rim? Also, how would handling be negatively affected? And what do you mean by "the SCR doesn't make use of all the tire it has now"? Thanks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for reply!
(snip) And what do you mean by "the SCR doesn't make use of all the tire it has now"? Thanks.
I drag parts before I lose grip. If you opt for a wider tire, remember that even though the tread may be wider tire-to-tire, once that 170 is "pinched" onto that narrow rear rim, a lot of weird things happen.
The images attached should help explain stuff better than I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drag parts before I lose grip. If you opt for a wider tire, remember that even though the tread may be wider tire-to-tire, once that 170 is "pinched" onto that narrow rear rim, a lot of weird things happen.
The images attached should help explain stuff better than I can.
Thanks for the info, Eddie! So that settles it, I need to either buy a wider rim for my SCR or stay with a 140 rear tire.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ohhh, didn't take into account the odd pinching that happens when the tires are too large for the rims. Thanks for the informative post eddie! There's also the problem of the sidewalls having not enough curvature to make them flex over bumps and potholes when tires are too large.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are very fortunate to have Eddie here on this site. Thanks again, Eddie for going to the trouble of responding to all the questions, providing pictures and diagrams etc.

Have you done any recent modifications/maintenance to your SCR950 or Super Tenere? Also, do you know if it's possible to get a Shop Manual for the SCR950? Thanks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thank you, flatrack!
I had good teachers: One is a former Audi/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda HD mechanic and the other a retired Army A&P mechanic turned VW/all Japanese bike fixer with a #1 in class drag bike plate on the wall.
They've broken and fixed a TON of stuff between the two of them! =)
Unfortunately, I've either had to work (43.1 hours on my time sheet in the last three nights alone) or it's been too hot and/or rainy out to get much tinkering done. =(

·
Registered
522 Posts
You may not have a lot of time to tinker these days, but you're still a treasure trove of information and guidance. We're lucky to have you here.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thank you, flatrack!
I had good teachers: One is a former Audi/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda HD mechanic and the other a retired Army A&P mechanic turned VW/all Japanese bike fixer with a #1 in class drag bike plate on the wall.
They've broken and fixed a TON of stuff between the two of them! =)
Unfortunately, I've either had to work (43.1 hours on my time sheet in the last three nights alone) or it's been too hot and/or rainy out to get much tinkering done. =(
ah that sucks, hence why I like having a shop to work out of, been through those conditions myself and it isn't fun especially with the older you get.... but I bet your buddy that served won't make those excuses :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts