Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so far I've determined that the under-seat storage can fit two 20-oz MSR fuel bottles, with enough space left for a small cable lock or rotor lock. I need to figure out a way to keep the fuel bottles from moving around, but that gives me a little wiggle room for touring on this machine. Unfortunately the 30-oz bottles do not fit. It looks like it could fit two longwise, but they just don't clear the frame rails. It's too tight.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you check out the Revzilla review of the XSR900 on YouTube, they attach a fuel bottle to the bars, that is probably bigger than that. With the crossbrace, we'd probably be able to secure it more too.

Under my seat, I keep a disc lock, canvas rucksack in case I pick anything up en route, and something else I can't remember at the moment!!

I do worry that repeatedly taking off the side panels is going to weaken the plastic at the top (the holes where the lugs on the frame go thru) enough to break tho, and have considered buying some spares before Yammy stop producing them.
Ben

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh yeah - and a secure helmet bag so I can leave my lid with the bike when I stop anywhere.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a question that might be off the topic, ...

is there anything wrong with removing side panels and just riding around without them?
for some reason I like the shape of the bike without those panels, besides the fact of having more mounting points and more frame parts that you can secure your luggage on...

like in case of rain .. would there be anything that I should worry about in that area, that has to be covered?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well - a lot of the electrics are in that area, under the removable cover, like the ECU. Not to mention the battery. Whilst the side panels aren't exactly a sealed fit, I imagine they would keep a great deal of water out of the area if you got caught in a storm. If the forecast was good, don't think there'd be too much of an issue (general road dust, maybe?)
Ben

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well - a lot of the electrics are in that area, under the removable cover, like the ECU. Not to mention the battery. Whilst the side panels aren't exactly a sealed fit, I imagine they would keep a great deal of water out of the area if you got caught in a storm. If the forecast was good, don't think there'd be too much of an issue (general road dust, maybe?)
Ben
I guess you are right...

I had a bike before, where you can open these side panels with your key...
that was nice to have... since you won't worry about tightening a bolt, and unscrewing it .. !

I love the bike so much, but I really dislike the lack of storage options...and that I have to walk around with a bunch of stuff wherever I go, makes me unable to go to so many places ,...

Probably next bike will be some adventure touring like an FJR or so... !

·
Registered
884 Posts
I guess you are right...

I had a bike before, where you can open these side panels with your key... that was nice to have... since you won't worry about tightening a bolt, and unscrewing it .. !

!
Somewhere on this forum is a write up I did where I converted the side panel screws to 1/4 turn, Dzus fasteners. They look stock and work perfectly. Panel removal is quick, easy & secure. If I wanted to go back to screws again (why???? LOL), all I'd need is new attachment brackets and they are relatively cheap at about $25 total for the two sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used M6x30 thumbscrews, ordered off of eBay for under $11/pr. They're not quarter turn, but they screw in to the stock bracket, they look nicer, and they're SO much easier to operate than the stock screws.

Charles.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Somewhere on this forum is a write up I did where I converted the side panel screws to 1/4 turn, Dzus fasteners. They look stock and work perfectly. Panel removal is quick, easy & secure. If I wanted to go back to screws again (why???? LOL), all I'd need is new attachment brackets and they are relatively cheap at about $25 total for the two sides.
Yes... I remember that one... very nice work...
but as far as I remember, I think you needed to drill 2 small holes to put the inner bracket?? right??

I used M6x30 thumbscrews, ordered off of eBay for under $11/pr. They're not quarter turn, but they screw in to the stock bracket, they look nicer, and they're SO much easier to operate than the stock screws.

Charles.

I did think about wing screws.... but thumb screws would look cleaner though....

I thought today about leaving the 2 side panels off, and just finding a small cover for the computer and the battery that would keep rain / water / dust off

something simple .. like this dry bags material... and just to tie it over the ECU (in the chassis bars) ... leaving the space under the seat open...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes... I remember that one... very nice work...
but as far as I remember, I think you needed to drill 2 small holes to put the inner bracket?? right??
I thought today about leaving the 2 side panels off, and just finding a small cover for the computer and the battery that would keep rain / water / dust off something simple .. like this dry bags material... and just to tie it over the ECU (in the chassis bars) ... leaving the space under the seat open...
Yep, two small holes to get the springs riveted to the mounts plus I had to add a bit of metal to the bracketry to accommodate the spring on one side. It was a craft project for certain! In the end, I had a clean way of securing the side panels that wouldn't work free. Funny thing, that: My Super Tenere has 1/4 turn fasteners on the right front fairing panel that covers the battery and electronics. I guess Yamaha saved a few $ on the SCR950. Crazy thing is, if a SCR panel screw loosens at all, the vibrations will likely shake it out and then the panel will be lost. At $120.78 each, a little tinkering could save one a ton of money down the road. One member here has already lost a panel or two. =(

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had the bike out this afternoon and got an idea for those maybe wanting to be rid of their side panels altogether.

The problem was raised about how to protect the components inside the area behind them, namely the ECM and battery.
Both are fairly well protected as it is, I'd imagine. If you've had your battery out by now, you know it's pretty much buried.
Yamaha has provided a small plastic bit that bolts to the frame cross member with two 10mm head bolts to hide the rest.

An enterprising sort could expand on that easily with a section of sheet aluminum or rigid plastic. (painted as desired)
Some fitting would be required by perhaps mocking it up with a sheet of cardboard first.
It could be wide enough to meet the frame tubing along the middle of the tubes to both cover the area and still not look out of place.
A strip of old inner tube, etc... glued to the underside outer edges of the new part could help avoid damaging the frame finish.
As for securing the new panel, I'd just drill a hole in the front corners and tie it to the frame with black plastic zip ties.
It'd make a nice 60 minute project. =)

{What's in the black thing held to the frame rail in this photo? It's a cigar tube inside some grip rubber off a piece of exercise equipment
my girlfriend was discarding. Inside the sealed cigar tube are my registration and insurance card. }

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the bike out this afternoon and got an idea for those maybe wanting to be rid of their side panels altogether.

The problem was raised about how to protect the components inside the area behind them, namely the ECM and battery.
Both are fairly well protected as it is, I'd imagine. If you've had your battery out by now, you know it's pretty much buried.
Yamaha has provided a small plastic bit that bolts to the frame cross member with two 10mm head bolts to hide the rest.

An enterprising sort could expand on that easily with a section of sheet aluminum or rigid plastic. (painted as desired)
Some fitting would be required by perhaps mocking it up with a sheet of cardboard first.
It could be wide enough to meet the frame tubing along the middle of the tubes to both cover the area and still not look out of place.
A strip of old inner tube, etc... glued to the underside outer edges of the new part could help avoid damaging the frame finish.
As for securing the new panel, I'd just drill a hole in the front corners and tie it to the frame with black plastic zip ties.
It'd make a nice 60 minute project. =)

{What's in the black thing held to the frame rail in this photo? It's a cigar tube inside some grip rubber off a piece of exercise equipment
my girlfriend was discarding. Inside the sealed cigar tube are my registration and insurance card. }
I thought about the exact same thing, just different material...

a trapezium shaped piece of waterproof / water resistant insulating material (like those nylon traps)

with holes left and right... tied to the chassis with some valcro going through the holes and around the chassis pipes...
leaving that window under the seat open ... and the chassis pipes free...

my only concern today that made me put the side panels back... is that I was afraid to lose those small rubber parts that attach from the top... while on the freeway...

and I didn't want to take them off either... so that they won't loosen up from being taken off then on

·
Registered
884 Posts
I thought about the exact same thing, just different material...

a trapezium shaped piece of waterproof / water resistant insulating material (like those nylon traps)

with holes left and right... tied to the chassis with some valcro going through the holes and around the chassis pipes...
leaving that window under the seat open ... and the chassis pipes free...

my only concern today that made me put the side panels back... is that I was afraid to lose those small rubber parts that attach from the top... while on the freeway...

and I didn't want to take them off either... so that they won't loosen up from being taken off then on
I thought about the rubber parts on the panel tabs, too. Easy enough to remove and reinstall later, I suppose. =)

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you do end up making that plate, can you make me one as well? Ill pay for the service/product.
Trying to revive an old thread that was posted before I joined this lovely forum. I too, was trying to come up with an easy way to remove/reinstall the side covers. I got looking at the key tumbler from the toolkit box. I even removed it and by the looks of it, it would work. I haven't sourced the parts yet, but will update when I get around to this project. Jevers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts