Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I got my SCR with 320 miles on it at the beginning of last fall. I did the break in, had it serviced then put it up for the winter. I've been riding it this spring back and forth from work, 40 min commute, and have come to realization that this tank is tiny and if I want to put some serious miles on this summer I'm gonna need some more capacity. I've read about using msr bottles and the such but I'm wanting something a bit more in-line that can work on the fly (ie. small transfer pump from a tank).
So here's what I'm thinking or looking for. I do a bit of CAD for my 3D printing hobby and my uncle is a welder. I've measured the empty space under the seat and want to make something that resembles the old oil tanks from back in the day, but before I blow a bunch of hours modeling this up I want to see if anyone else has.
So in short, has anyone made a model for this or has an off the shelf solution that fits this idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hey there, I got my SCR with 320 miles on it at the beginning of last fall. I did the break in, had it serviced then put it up for the winter. I've been riding it this spring back and forth from work, 40 min commute, and have come to realization that this tank is tiny.......
Yes, but what a lovely tank it is.......

Don’t think so pal - it’s been mentioned by a few, but I’ve never seen anyone with a fully working example. I don’t imagine it’d be too easy, or worth it, TBH. Someone harsher than me might suggest you’d selected the wrong bike for commuting, if the fuel range is coming up short for your particular journey.......:p

Best I’ve seen are the little bottles you’ve mentioned......

Welcome, by the way.......

Ben

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there, I got my SCR with 320 miles on it at the beginning of last fall. I did the break in, had it serviced then put it up for the winter. I've been riding it this spring back and forth from work, 40 min commute, and have come to realization that this tank is tiny and if I want to put some serious miles on this summer I'm gonna need some more capacity. I've read about using msr bottles and the such but I'm wanting something a bit more in-line that can work on the fly (ie. small transfer pump from a tank).
So here's what I'm thinking or looking for. I do a bit of CAD for my 3D printing hobby and my uncle is a welder. I've measured the empty space under the seat and want to make something that resembles the old oil tanks from back in the day, but before I blow a bunch of hours modeling this up I want to see if anyone else has.
So in short, has anyone made a model for this or has an off the shelf solution that fits this idea.

Thanks
For a spare gas can solution, I wound up going with the SW Motech SLC side carrier brackets, and a quick-disconnect locking plate for the SLC carrier that holds a Roto-Pax 1.5 fuel can. Roto-Pax cans are awesome, they make a wide range of spare fuel cans and twist lock fastening assemblies for pannier carriage. Some of there fasteners are key locking too.

SW Motech makes a few different saddle bag or soft pannier bags that fit the SCR. They even makes a skateboard carrier that mounts to the SLC carrier brackets! That’s what sold me on the SLC carriers versus other saddlebag lines.

I also went with SW Motech for there choice of water proof soft pannier bags in the Sysbag line. I wound up getting the plate kit that holds the Roto-Pax 1.5 gallon spare gas can. It clicks onto the SLC carriers via quick on/off locking brackets. Roto-Pax has a decent range of spare fuel cans to choose from, all the way up to 5 gallons (which is pushing it on a motorcycle imho.)

I mainly bought the Roto-Pax 1.5 gallon spare fuel can, just to have the option for long day rides. Twisted Throttle has a pretty good choice when it comes to the Roto-Pax and SW Motech line. They’ve been a big help for what works with these SCR950 motorcycles.

Hope that helps, have fun and be safe, - thumps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts