Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am at an information security expert that just finished a two-year contract in Mexico. Three months ago I snagged a government contract in Northern California and moved the fam. While visiting a buddy in San Francisco, I saw a CBR 250R in the corner of his garage. Every time I went over to his place I noticed it never budged and after asking, I find out that it actually hasn’t since 2016. I asked him what his plans were with it, and he had none. It looks like it has been laid down a few times and did not run at all. I gave him a reasonable offer and he accepted. I took it to a mechanic and got it running.

Here’s the fun part: I’ve never stepped on a motorcycle in my life. I don’t even know how to drive a manual car. After the mechanic was done I offered him $60 to take me behind a Best Buy and just show me how the clutch and “stuff” works. He spent about 30 minutes and left me on my own. After about six hours of riding around the same block, I had it down brought to get her home.

That was three weeks ago.

Over the course of the last 2 1/2 weeks I did not get off that bike. I rode it every chance I got. And after a while, I realized I really wanted to move onto “the next thing.”

That brings us to four days ago. I scoured eBay, Craigslist, Offer Up, all the usual places and I looked at bike after bike after bike. I was dead set on a BMW Sertao.. I liked it a lot, the wife, not so much. I was about to give the owner an offer until I came across an ad for a SCR950. A surgeon at UCSF had a beauty with 4850 mi on it. I am guilty of finding Scramblers incredibly friggin cool looking. It was admittedly, love at first sight. When I took my wife to go see it, she too had heart eyes. It was a no brainer at that point. The first offer I gave the gentleman accepted and.. well, here we are today.

I doubt anybody knows this, unless you’re from the Bay, but it has been raining for the last three days - nonstop. I’ve only put about 30 miles on her.

I have a lot of plans for this bike. First and foremost, I need to get that massive air filter off that’s busting your my knee and put something smaller on (I like one of the Cobra ones). I also plan on putting on a Vance and Hines slip-on and then get the ECU calibrated at Ivan’s. I Purchased a dart flyscreen and a saddle bag that are both in the mail.

I spent a lot of time on this forum the last few days while the rain has been ruining all my fun and I figured it was time to introduce myself!

Cheers,

Dasuberworm

Currently: SF, CA

Tire Water Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hello,

I am at an information security expert that just finished a two-year contract in Mexico. Three months ago I snagged a government contract in Northern California and moved the fam. While visiting a buddy in San Francisco, I saw a CBR 250R in the corner of his garage. Every time I went over to his place I noticed it never budged and after asking, I find out that it actually hasn’t since 2016. I asked him what his plans were with it, and he had none. It looks like it has been laid down a few times and did not run at all. I gave him a reasonable offer and he accepted. I took it to a mechanic and got it running.

Here’s the fun part: I’ve never stepped on a motorcycle in my life. I don’t even know how to drive a manual car. After the mechanic was done I offered him $60 to take me behind a Best Buy and just show me how the clutch and “stuff” works. He spent about 30 minutes and left me on my own. After about six hours of riding around the same block, I had it down brought to get her home.

Over the course of the last 2 1/2 weeks I did not get off that bike. I rode it every chance I got. And after a while, I realized I really wanted to move onto “the next thing.”

That brings us to four days ago. I scoured eBay, Craigslist, Offer Up, all the usual places and I looked at bike after bike after bike. I was dead set on a BMW Sertao.. I liked it a lot, the wife, not so much. I was about to give the owner an offer until I came across an ad for a SCR950. A surgeon at UCSF had a beauty with 4850 mi on it. I am guilty of finding Scramblers incredibly friggin cool looking. It was admittedly, love at first sight. When I took my wife to go see it, she too had heart eyes. It was a no brainer at that point. The first offer I gave the gentleman accepted and.. well, here we are today.

I doubt anybody knows this, unless you’re from the Bay, but it has been raining for the last three days - nonstop. I’ve only put about 30 miles on her.

I have a lot of plans for this bike. First and foremost, I need to get that massive air filter off that’s busting your my knee and put something smaller on (I like one of the Cobra ones). I also plan on putting on a Vance and Hines slip-on and then get the ECU calibrated at Ivan’s. I Purchased a dart flyscreen and a saddle bag that are both in the mail.

I spent a lot of time on this forum the last few days while the rain has been ruining all my fun and I figured it was time to introduce myself!

Cheers,

Dasuberworm

View attachment 18302
Welcome Dude.
Great story.
Great photo.
Glad you joined. We need new blood.

Reactions: Dasuberworm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello,

Cheers,

Dasuberworm

View attachment 18302
Good choice. Sure you will enjoy it as well as the forum. I had a Honda CB 250 too. It was interesting. Sat up kinda high. Much more beef with your SCR, lol. Take care ...

·
Registered
Yamahahahaha
43 Posts
Hello,

Cheers,

Dasuberworm

View attachment 18302
Wow, you have one nice mechanic to spend a little time teaching you the basics. Welcome to the forum! Better pinch those fork gaiters flat before taking a picture, or someone on this thing will make you hear about it! 😜

·
Registered
100 Posts
great introduction and fine pic, think your gonna fit right in.
people will have you believe that the SCR is a abject failure in all departments but we and Ryan F9 no different sometimes something that makes no sense on paper grabs your heart.... who wants perfect give me flawed anytime.
Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
great introduction and fine pic, think your gonna fit right in.
people will have you believe that the SCR is a abject failure in all departments but we and Ryan F9 no different sometimes something that makes no sense on paper grabs your heart.... who wants perfect give me flawed anytime. View attachment 18313
The whales 🐳 jawbone in Whitby, so many great memories 😎

1 - 9 of 9 Posts