Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks good to me from the photos and test rides. I will visit a dealer soon to have a look.
I ride a lot of forest service roads at a moderate pace here in the mountains of Western NC and Eastern TN on my Ural and looks like the
SCR would do just fine here.
Just gonna lurk for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the forums ! I think the SCR would be great for the circumstances of your commutes. But lurking for a while and getting into the discussions would be a great help to see where you want to go

·
Registered
884 Posts
Looks real darn good ! Just a weekend cruiser or do you plan on going extended trips ?
Mostly day rides <100 miles. Shorter until I can figure out a new seat. The stock one is about as bad as anything I've ever ridden. And I worked at a bike shop for 14 years!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mostly day rides <100 miles. Shorter until I can figure out a new seat. The stock one is about as bad as anything I've ever ridden. And I worked at a bike shop for 14 years!
In the meantime, before you decide on which seat to get, you could try adding one of those gel seat inserts to make things a bit more cushy. Add on a sheepskin seat cover and you're good to go.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The city streets around here have their irregularities, shall we say, and the SCR has done surprisingly well with it's limited rear suspension travel.
How much of that do you think is influenced by the tires? It's an easy way for them to ease the feedback we get form the road.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The tire pressures could have a big say-so, too.
Stock recommended pressures are 41psi front and rear!
Really.
That's bizarre considering Bolt C-Spec runs 33psi front and 36psi rear.
Stranger still is running more pressure on off-road patterned tires.
I don't get it.

As for the seat, it seems to sit tall as it is. I have a 30" inseam and the seat/footpeg arrangement's okay.
I thought about adding a wool seat pad. In fact, my girlfriend's got one on her V-Star 950 that I bought her a couple of years ago.
I may ask if I can try it out. Not sure I'd like the extra height, though.

The stock seat is pretty hard. Coupled with the general shape, it's like riding a rubber coated landscaping timber. ;-)
A reshape is in order, at least. I'm waiting on an available OEM replacement seat before I go carving up the original.
The dealership checked and there's a part #. Just nothing in stock yet.

Considering the simple nature of the rear sub frame. I may see if I can make a seat pan and construct a seat of my own to try out.
Bracketry looks easy enough and if I use 1/2" marine plywood, shaping and covering would be a snap.
Stay tuned, campers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts