Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I worked part time at a bike shop (13+ years), we used to tell folks that complained they could find X on the internet cheaper, "Yes, but you have no idea how old it is."
This was particularly true with tires. I used to love the shocked look on a customer's face as I installed that 'net tire they brought in and showed them the DOT born on date that was 4-5 years old.
Those tires were sometimes hard as rocks.
They never lasted as long as hoped, either.
"If you'd just ordered from us, we could've gotten you one a whole lot newer that would perform better."

Those words rang in my head yesterday as I waited on the former shop owner to come jump start my Super Tenere 1200. Since the co-owner died and they closed 6 years ago, I've had to resort to getting bike parts here & there. The 1200's battery died in November. So, I ordered a replacement from Chapparal Motorsports via Walmart.com.
The new Yuasa AGM battery came out of the box with more than a 80% charge. After servicing it on a Battery Tender AGM charger for a few hours, it cranked the bike right up.
A few days later, as I was throwing the box away. I saw the date code sticker. The battery was 4 years old. $#@%!
And until yesterday I thought I'd dodged a bullet.
Wrong.:frown2:
A fresh battery has been ordered and hopefully it'll be a lot newer and last longer than 4 months in the bike.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Eddie, You are so right. Ever since my girlfriend ( now wife) moved out to the country to live with me, my eyes have been opened. She came back from the mom and pop grocery store ( the only one in town), stating the she " will NEVER shop there again!". She showed me a jar of salsa that had been expired for nearly 3 years! I think just about everyone would be surprised at the array of items that have expiration dates on them.
Helmets, tires, batteries,
hardhats, etc. From that day forward, I religiously check the expiration dates on
EVERYTHING. Jevers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts