Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a brighter headlamp (bulb) I ride in the AZ desert and it gets pretty dark out here. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's an idea from a friend from my 'Nam days. He was stationed in Minot N.D. Seems as though some of the guys stationed at the A.F, base used to take an aircraft landing light and substitute it for one of the hi-beams on their cars. You can get them on eBay, but the lowest voltage ones are 13v. Not sure if the SCR charging system could manage it. Also, it's just one intensity, no hi/low beam. I'm sure it could illuminate the desert quite nicely :grin2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for a brighter headlamp (bulb) I ride in the AZ desert and it gets pretty dark out here. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
You might try just aiming the headlight higher. That's what I did and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I’ve tried high output 90 watt halogens as well as expensive LED bulbs (evitek f2, evitek e1, advmonster r2, and advmonster native). They all suck in the scr. The reflector in the scr950 is absolutely terrible. For one of my other bikes I’ve put on a 5 3/4 daymaker clone made by Sunpie. Holy ****, LED projectors work so much better than a LED h4 in a reflector housing - even in a good reflector housing. I’ve been running led h4s in bikes with good reflectors and have been happy, but that $30 led projector (and $25 headlight bucket) was a game changer. I have three h4 leds on my scr950, and the single daymaker clone is a far better pattern and far brighter.

I guess it makes sense, because it has a heat sink 10 times as big and much larger CREE LEDs.

Anyhow, up until now, the only LED projector solution for a stock headlight bucket was the Denali conversion kit... for $430. For that cost, it’s a far better option to buy a headlight bucket and the daymaker clone and deal with having a non-stock bucket attached with ears. I hadn’t done that yet because side mount headlights won’t work with OEM windshields or flyscreens.

But recently that’s all changed. This has come on the market. It’s the Denali style setup, but from China and at a reasonable price:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33043586633.html

The bulb is different than the Denali, but the bracket looks the same. It mounts in place of the oem reflector, and becomes push-to-aim instead of using the screws. Even with paying $20 for the expideted DHL shipping, it’s less than a quarter the price of the Denali.

I just ordered one and will post back when I install it!

Charles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve tried high output 90 watt halogens as well as expensive LED bulbs (evitek f2, evitek e1, advmonster r2, and advmonster native). They all suck in the scr. The reflector in the scr950 is absolutely terrible. For one of my other bikes I’ve put on a 5 3/4 daymaker clone made by Sunpie. Holy ****, LED projectors work so much better than a LED h4 in a reflector housing - even in a good reflector housing. I’ve been running led h4s in bikes with good reflectors and have been happy, but that $30 led projector (and $25 headlight bucket) was a game changer. I have three h4 leds on my scr950, and the single daymaker clone is a far better pattern and far brighter.

I guess it makes sense, because it has a heat sink 10 times as big and much larger CREE LEDs.

Anyhow, up until now, the only LED projector solution for a stock headlight bucket was the Denali conversion kit... for $430. For that cost, it’s a far better option to buy a headlight bucket and the daymaker clone and deal with having a non-stock bucket attached with ears. I hadn’t done that yet because side mount headlights won’t work with OEM windshields or flyscreens.

But recently that’s all changed. This has come on the market. It’s the Denali style setup, but from China and at a reasonable price:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33043586633.html

The bulb is different than the Denali, but the bracket looks the same. It mounts in place of the oem reflector, and becomes push-to-aim instead of using the screws. Even with paying $20 for the expideted DHL shipping, it’s less than a quarter the price of the Denali.

I just ordered one and will post back when I install it!

Charles.

Charles,

Did you ever receive and install the headlight? Looking for feedback on quality of product, ease of installation and end result.

Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well... it mounts fine and is about as bright as the stock light. It’s not a good solution, sadly. Since I already bought it, one of these days I’m going to open it up and see if I can replace the chinesium LED drivers with actual CREE drivers, and see if it makes a difference.

The pattern is alright, and the high beam is acceptable. A little better than stock, actually. The light is far too blue, and the low beam is pretty weak. It’s acceptable as a stock replacement, but it’s not a great headlight.

Charles.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I went and ordered the Chinese Denali clone before we heard back from Charles about his review. Wish I hadn't. It's smaller than the stock light, so it doesn't look right in the stock bucket. Aliexpress isn't making it easy to request a refund either. Sigh.

Attached - clone left, stock right

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts