Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I junked both mudguards, replacing the front one with a motocross-style high fender, the rear having LED lights integrated into the seat, and a lighter exhaust system [suggestions?], how much weight could I save?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Best guess?
About 4-5% / 20-25# tops and it would still weight in the neighborhood of 525 pounds.
Would one notice the difference? Maybe.
That hefty steel frame and loveable lump of an air-cooled V-twin would still be there.
Put ballet shoes on a linebacker and it'd still hurt if he fell on you.
=)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Put ballet shoes on a linebacker and it'd still hurt if he fell on you.
=)
Bhahahahaha
I gotta start writing these down.

Analogies by Eddie:
There's the one about the once bit donut...
The one about the air plane hangar...
This one about the ballet shoes.....
Ummm....shoot. I may have to search by eddie because I know there have been many others.

·
Registered
155 Posts
loveable lump of an air-cooled V-twin
:laugh:

Yes, the Bolt’s V-twin sure is bulky but lovable for its bullet-proof durability! Compared to my ex-Sportster 883, standout features contributing to the mass are cam-chain tunnels, extra surface area for air cooling and covers for sound dampening. The Sportster’s slim 883 is a hangover from a less civilized era.

Weight reduction - first thing I did was ditch the passenger footpegs and mounting brackets. That diet was soon spoiled by feasting on tasty accessories like engine guards, saddle bags and windshield.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tossing the entire subframe and putting on bolt rear rails, seat and fender still only got me about 10lb.
Hacking off the muffler and throwing on a $30 ebay POS put on with chicken wire netted me 20lb.

This bike would make the commies proud like someone here mentioned. Built heavy and chunky and utilitarian like a communist era Lada or Skoda.

·
Registered
150 Posts
since my battery is completely gonzo from winter neglect... I'mma invest in a lithium battery which should cut another 5-6 lbs.

ive already removed and replaced as many parts as possible to cut weight and this battery change should or hopefully bring me close to 500lbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.