Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.
I must never forget that when you choose to ride a motorcycle, it is not a matter of if you wipeout, it is a matter of when.
And most of the time it involves operator error.
Which leads to me to believe like i've been that it is a great idea to wear all the gear all the time.
I took a left turn too wide and went off the pavement into the dirt, then foolishly tried to cut back onto the pavement at too narrow an angle an in an instant I was down on the right side of the bike. Completely down on its side. I wound up on top of the bike. (not sure how as it happened fast) Had it not been for the full face helmet, I'd be really messed up as my face whacked the crossbar good and hard. Im 54 and kinda arthritic in the hips. But I jumped up and picked that sucker up and stood it up like it was nothing. Must have been Adrenalin?
Broke the brake handle, bent the bars a little(Guy at the shop straightened them), a couple little scratches to the muffler end and bent the foot brake handle a bit. Thats it!!! Tanks fine!
Weird huh!
Me? I got a bump on the right forearm, a bump and a cut to the right shin. My left foot hurts a little.
My flipping pride is hurt I feel kinda stupid and Im thank full to God and my wearing gear that i didnt get hurt much.
Peace out and ride safe.

P.S. It aint made for off road. lol lol :grin2::grin2::grin2:

No pics because the damage was so slight.

Im fortunate.
I was on the way to the dealer to get some new pants at the time! lol.
I kept going and bought the pants and made it home. decided to not let it get to me. But I gotta watch those turns. Funny thing is I was getting
(Ride safe) a bit too cocky lately. Maybe needed that to bring me back down before I really got messed up.

Mellow

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
Jeez - glad you’re ok man. Funny - when I had my little ‘event’ last year, I think I was getting a little too cocky too. Glad you (and the bike) are not too badly damaged though. Like you say.....your pride often hurts more. Maybe take a day or two off...?

The old saying is true though: “there’s only 2 kinds of bikes.....those that have been over, and those that are going to”.

Take care.
Ben

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Glad you got off with minimal damage and injury. It sounds like you got the right attitude. One more thing off the list! I've had close calls under the same circumstance that you described. It usually cools your jets for a few months......

Reactions: Mellowrider

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you guys.
Yea, Its never good to start thinking Im a bad ass on my scr. Leads to mistakes.
I want to thank the good Lord above, (Sorry Burke) lol...... and my equipment.
And if I could kick myself in the keister I'd do it.!
I had a patch 50 feet ahead where the dirt met even with the road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for sharing and I'm glad to hear you're ok, all things considered. It's stories like these that keep me humble and thinking "better safe than sorry."

Take care of yourself!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing and I'm glad to hear you're ok, all things considered. It's stories like these that keep me humble and thinking "better safe than sorry."

Take care of yourself!
Hey Man!,
you know, I've been riding 5-6 years and I just made bad decisions today. The good thing is I learned a lesson and it didnt cost too much.
And it reinforced my all the gear all the time motto.
Im real glad I am wearing a full face shield as opposed to no helmet or even an open face helmet as I would have lost some teeth for sure.
Im just waiting for the mornings pain report. Like the day after playing football in my 20's... Ouch!
lol
Im still digging the saddle bags. You remember I had you make mine a little deeper in the width.... I cant believe sometimes how much I can get into them. And when empty, I don't know they are there.
Great bags.
Happy Trails.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea some ID10t nearly pulled in front of me yesterday. I near about T boned him - right in the driver side door if he had kept doing what he was doing - and luckily for me and him - he stopped 1/2 way. Not before I had a pucker situation - and this bike is loud as it can ever be, and his widow was down … so WTF … he could hear me. Or should have heard me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Its not mine... But I like it. No offense to anyone of faiths that dont believe in Jesus... No offense to anyone who doesnt believe. But for those that do... You might appreciate this one...

Lord, thanks for the privilege of riding today,

Hard on the throttle, wind in my face,

My spirit free as the beauty of the earth passes by.

Help me to ride safe and be courteous and patient.

Help me to stand out to others like a burning light

so I dont end up a stain on the highway with a crewcut.

Thanks for paving the highway to heaven, Jesus,

When you gave your life for me on the cross.

Help me to live my life for you.

Lord, I am sorry for the things that I have said and done

To hurt you and others.

Help me to say a kind word to the folks along the ride today.

Lord, please go ahead and guide me, keep me safe. Get me home

safe to ride another day.

Stay beside me for comfort, and behind me for protection.

Thanks for setting me free in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Well that didn't work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey, so glad that your bike, and especially you are all right. I went out on a dirt road for the first time a few months and hit some soft sand, started wobbling, went down fast. I was fortunate to be able to just jump back was completely clear of the bike, and it landed in soft sand, but still felt that sting of knowing my own error put it down there. Anyways, glad there's something to learn from these situations.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Greetings all.
I must never forget that when you choose to ride a motorcycle, it is not a matter of if you wipeout, it is a matter of when.
And most of the time it involves operator error.
Which leads to me to believe like i've been that it is a great idea to wear all the gear all the time.
I took a left turn too wide and went off the pavement into the dirt, then foolishly tried to cut back onto the pavement at too narrow an angle an in an instant I was down on the right side of the bike. Completely down on its side. I wound up on top of the bike. (not sure how as it happened fast) Had it not been for the full face helmet, I'd be really messed up as my face whacked the crossbar good and hard. Im 54 and kinda arthritic in the hips. But I jumped up and picked that sucker up and stood it up like it was nothing. Must have been Adrenalin?
Broke the brake handle, bent the bars a little(Guy at the shop straightened them), a couple little scratches to the muffler end and bent the foot brake handle a bit. Thats it!!! Tanks fine!
Weird huh!
Me? I got a bump on the right forearm, a bump and a cut to the right shin. My left foot hurts a little.
My flipping pride is hurt I feel kinda stupid and Im thank full to God and my wearing gear that i didnt get hurt much.
Peace out and ride safe.

P.S. It aint made for off road. lol lol :grin2::grin2::grin2:

No pics because the damage was so slight.

Im fortunate.
I was on the way to the dealer to get some new pants at the time! lol.
I kept going and bought the pants and made it home. decided to not let it get to me. But I gotta watch those turns. Funny thing is I was getting
(Ride safe) a bit too cocky lately. Maybe needed that to bring me back down before I really got messed up.

Mellow
Went wide? Were you dragging hard parts and at max lean angle? There's a fix for a little more cornering clearance if you're willing to raise the bike up a bit. Slide tubes down in the trees and get a Baron Raise Up kit for the back (raises the rear 1" with stock shocks, for under $100)

Charles.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yea some ID10t nearly pulled in front of me yesterday. I near about T boned him - right in the driver side door if he had kept doing what he was doing - and luckily for me and him - he stopped 1/2 way. Not before I had a pucker situation - and this bike is loud as it can ever be, and his widow was down … so WTF … he could hear me. Or should have heard me.
Loud pipes don't save lives. They just piss off voters. Air horns and auxiliary lighting, however, do help.

Charles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that didn't work.
Well.... depends on how you look at it....
Of course the prayer was with good intentions. And the road to **** is paved with those... lol...Prob was me turning into speed racer on my scr. I put the gear on on start her up and when Im riding... I start thinking im really goodat this... I'l go a bit faster etc etc etc...
Then Wham!!!
I cant blame it on God Burke.. He knows whats right. But I sure seem to not know at times. lol
Good to hear from Ya! Hows the bike runnin?
I love what you did to it. Its awesome looking Man!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well.... depends on how you look at it....
Of course the prayer was with good intentions. And the road to **** is paved with those... lol...Prob was me turning into speed racer on my scr. I put the gear on on start her up and when Im riding... I start thinking im really goodat this... I'l go a bit faster etc etc etc...
Then Wham!!!
I cant blame it on God Burke.. He knows whats right. But I sure seem to not know at times. lol
Good to hear from Ya! Hows the bike runnin?
I love what you did to it. Its awesome looking Man!
True. could have been a lot worse. bike is great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts