Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a Triumph Scrambler for a long time, and then suddenly Yamaha makes this bike for $2000 less. And it looks really good, and feels really good under me. So, I'm thinking about it instead.

Here's my problem: Mods for the Triumph are easy and well-documented. There's an air injection eliminator kit, and then you program the ECU for new mufflers, and it's done.

The Yamaha SCR-950 doesn't currently have decent aftermarket exhaust. That's not a big deal, because I can bend and weld my own. I must have high pipes, if I'm to have a scrambler. The big deal is the ECU and O2 sensor. Can the stock ECU be flashed with a new map? Or am I going to have to drop a lot of money on a power commander?

Do I need to retain a bung for the O2 sensor? Will it work if the O2 sensor is installed in only one pipe? (I want a 2-into-2 exhaust with no crossover).

I've been looking up Bolt 950 info, and really haven't found anything that tells me one way or another the best way to get fueling correct after adding new exhaust.

Also, something has to be done about that air cleaner. It's going to bang the **** out of my leg. I see there are a few options for the Bolt 950, and with both intake and exhaust mods I'm definitely going to need a new map, I'm thinking.

So, what's the preferred upgrade route?

Charles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You want the good news or the bad news first?
The good: With an exhaust, reflash of the ECM, better intake and a fuel controller of some sort, you can wake up the 950 engine enough to tell a good difference and it'll still be reliable and fun to ride.
The bad news: Once you sort it all out, you'll likely have spent at least the difference between the SCR & the Triumph to end up with a bit more same power but
in a much (100#!) heavier bike less suited for unpaved riding. I still can't believe no one's dinged a belt and pulley set yet test riding one off road ($1,000 oops).
The SCR950 is what it is: A really nicely made poseur when it comes to comparable scramblers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not sure what you can really do about that air cleaner case and your knee, at least not as far as I've seen. Could always wear a knee pad on one knee as a short term solution until the aftermarket catches up. :grin2:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the same concern as you and I haven't found a solution yet. It's going to be a case of either getting used to it so my knee subconsciously avoids getting too close to the filter or getting a knee pad.

·
Registered
339 Posts
thats what i figured it would come down to, habits, and sticking by them since that alone cane go a long way here, just not if it will make riding weird or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for the O2 sensor, I don't see much use for it. I put a 16" straight pipe on my scr today abd currently have the O2 sensor just zip tied out of the way until I figure out what the **** im going to do with it. However with the sensor just there, nothing has changed in performance, no warnings, no short term affects. I personally believe putting the sensor into 1 pipe will not cause an issue. Keep us posted on your dual exhaust plan though, I want to see how that looks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well the O2 sensor isn't completely useless, it monitors the exhaust oxygen flow and lets the ECU know if the fuel-to-air ratio needs ot be adjusted for performance or emissions-related purposes. Could do without the emissions portion of that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's the ecu adjustments that it allows it to make... but installing a bung is always a possibility though no?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wouldn't drill into the exhaust pipes in case something goes wrong and i have to replace the whole system. Not worth the potential headache and cost.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, no I wouldn't do it myself either, I would take it to a shop so they could do it and weld it all nice and properly for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts