Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ha ha. The SCR photo caught my eye on Google this morning.

Reactions: Big-X

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like though obviously I have my favorites and some have been harder to love then others.
Anyone who who dismisses the Honda c50 is a clown it simply the greatest motorcycle ever built.
I'm so happy the SCR was a flop, if everything I purchased had a third lopped of it's price I be a happy chap.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like though obviously I have my favorites and some have been harder to love then others.
Anyone who who dismisses the Honda c50 is a clown it simply the greatest motorcycle ever built.
I'm so happy the SCR was a flop, if everything I purchased had a third lopped of it's price I be a happy chap.
Nicely (politely) put.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I suppose that a lot of people are concerned about how other people see them and a car /watch/label or motorcycle allows them to project the a imagine and or status to other's about were they are in the scheme of things.
I choose to ride Honda cubs by choice for years including the latest c125 model. Other bikers would notice the lack of L plates and sometimes ask why I didn't ride something bigger and better. Obviously in my garage would be for example a BMW r9t racer in m sport colours but I find it a little embarrassing. Guy Martin calls it Willy waving!
A bike I always wanted was Suzuki bloop some wag said if you rode one you were basically saying you'd given up, my kind of bike then.
Anyone asks me about my scr I tell them it's crap all the experts say so except for Ryan @fort nine but what does he know?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
120 Posts
Started out with a Kawasaki KZ305 CSR. Been up to a 1300 and down to a 250. I am a motorcycle enthusiast. I love all motorcycles. Been through well over a dozen bikes of various configurations. The SCR that I currently have is the second one that I've owned. Many people have complimented me on these "Scrambler" bikes. They usually say "Nice bike!" and ask lots of questions. The first Scrambler I bought brand-new and that was awesome.

I have found the small to mid-range bikes to be more challenging and exciting to ride for the most part. (Check out my post for the new Meteor 350.) The one thing about that author's foolish article that I can agree with though, is that motorcycling is a lifestyle. But, however, those who truly experience it, indulge in it, and cultivate it, do not feel the need to ridicule what other people choose to ride. And you can take that to the bank. 😉

·
Registered
140 Posts
Said it perfect big-X.... someone once said if you cannot walk past a bike the builder as done is job. First time i saw a Honda rune (also on list ) i was amazed that anyone could release such a machine I'm probably never going to own one but I'm glad it was made. Someone said the headlight was inspired by a robot camera on the movie war of the world's.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used to ride a KLR, you cant find an uglier, more embarrassing to bike to ride, but I could ride it anywhere I wanted.
Style wise the SCR is a massive upgrade from it.

Most everyone that see's the SCR likes it, I think it was a flop because it cost so much, you could get an bigger/better adventure bike for what the original price was. I bought mine after they marked them down 3000 bucks, I would've never bought it for full retail.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When the Yamaha Scrambler was introduced, I had actually been looking at the Triumph Scramblers. I had test driven a Triumph and was impressed by the upright riding position and seat height, and the snappy throttle responsiveness and acceleration. A short while later I discovered the SCR950 which seemed to offer essentially much of the same features and characteristics at a somewhat lower price tag. I also didn't particularly care for the exhaust configuration on the Triumph and how it was up so high (although that's basically how Scramblers usually are). Regretfully I traded in my first 950 after about 7,000 miles for a Honda CB 1100; a beautiful, fabulously engineered, precise machine. Perfect ergonomics, smooth seemless acceleration, totally balanced, virtually silent engine. But - - I like to know that I am riding a motorcycle. You could probably doze off on a bike like the Honda, no harm intended. With a couple of bikes in between, I am once again riding an SCR. IMO, both are awesome motorcycles. Here's an interesting antecdote: The same engine that is on our Yamaha SCR 950s is on the Yamaha 950 Tourers (which I have also owned). Talk about a world of difference - - like night and day! Same engine, different use/purpose. Honestly, I have liked and enjoyed all of the motorcycles I have ever owned or driven. All to me are fun, exciting, and intriguing! Don't even get me started on guitars ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a weird article. I mean the whole thing. I came up with a few hilarious scenarios that would explain why he wrote it, but I won’t spoil it for your own imaginations. Also, do motorcycle throttles switch to the left side for any reason? Different country standards? He says you command power with your left arm, I’m trying to figure what that means.
And his opinions are weird too.
I knew this old biker who had a shop where he built choppers and restored older Harleys. He rode a Honda 50 to and from his house everyday. He loved it, and had no shame in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts