Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

What do you think about these saddlebags for the SCR?

6K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  SCRBen 
#1 ·
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253205383359

They appear to be very large, and fit that Triumph nicely. Because of the removable center section, they'd be easy to hard-mount to OEM saddlebag brackets. They're NOT cruisery pirate-style slant bags, no studs, no fringe, no bullshit. Thoughts?

Charles.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I like those too, and for the very same reasons you have listed. And I am sure you have the same concerns that I would have if I was looking to get saddle bags......you just don't know what they look like until you throw them over your iron horse. I'll bet someone good with image editing software could easily copy and paste those to the proper scale onto an SCR image. I've seen...I mean I've heard that there are images out there of let's say maybe Jennifer Aniston's head on someone else's body. Saddle bags should easy.

#4 ·
Not me. It was your buddy Charles that I was replying to.

and the head pasting was raunchy. So I'm told.

#7 ·
Sorry Schu - head up my ass (must have been thinking abut Jennifer Aniston!! :wink2:)

Charles - so you just plan to remove the whole mount when you get to a destination for the night then? Or use inner bags and leave the saddlebags on the bike?
Ben

#8 ·
If I'm making a basecamp for the weekend (or longer), I'll set up my tent and everything and then take the bags off the bike, so that I can ride the area roads unencumbered. If I'm just stopping for the night, I'd leave the bags and brackets on the bike.

Charles.

#9 ·
You might be on to something there Charles - i’d not really considered the OEM mounts before, simply because the OEM bags look like a complete waste of time, and because they are not QR. No reason we couldn’t mount a different bag to them though. I did similar on my Harley previously - got some mounts, and then the bags separately (I think they were ‘Saddlemen’ bags). They had solid plastic interiors though, so putting bolts through them were not an issue - those you’ve put a link to look like genuine leather only - not concerned about them tearing? As a matter of fact, id seen those on eBay myself - have you seen where they are though?!

Also, I know youve said previously you were interested in the Fehling rack. Have you noticed they both use the same upper-mount? Any thoughts about how one or the other might be adapted to allow both to be fitted at the same time?
Ben

#11 ·
Yes I see they use the same top mounts. The oem saddlebag mounts stick out a lot further, so I was going to just make some shorter spacers and stack them on top of the rack’s spacers.

As for the reinforcement, my plan was to sandwhich a piece of metal or maybe a sacrifice a cheap plastic cutting board to reinforce the mounting area in the bags.

I’m also planning to see if I can’t get two 44L top cases to mount as saddlebags for the really long trips.

Charles

#12 ·
Yes I see they use the same top mounts. The oem saddlebag mounts stick out a lot further, so I was going to just make some shorter spacers and stack them on top of the rack’s spacers.

Charles
I was hoping something like that would be possible - it looked like it might be, but given you already have the mounts, guessed you’d be better placed to comment on its feasibility. Cheers. :cool:

When are you ordering the rack?

Ben

#13 ·
I’m aiming at the parts that I’m worried will become unavailable first. I saw only a few places selling the oem mounts, so I snagged them first. Likewise, only a few places with the oem numberplate wind screen, so I just got that. I think that’s all the oem parts likely to go out of stock soon. So the rack I’m not sure of. It’s probably going to be out of stock sooner than anything else, but I haven’t seen a good photo of it mounted on a bike without any of the saddlebag brackets. So I’m not really sure how it will look and if it will work for me.

I’m tempted to just get the brown seat cover and gel pad next, and put the rack off until after I’ve worked out my luggage. But I’m not sure yet.

Charles.

#14 ·
I hear you. I have the same concerns about getting hold of some replacement side panels/number boards before they soon too become unavailable (esp. if the SCR is being discontinued, like we think).

Re. the OEM racks, yep I can see they’re pretty scarce here in the UK too (as in, I can’t see any advertised at all!). I’ve dropped an e-mail to some of the larger Yam dealers here, to see if they can order any in.
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.