Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I skipped the first service, changed the oil and adjusted the valves myself... but I think there's some throttle body balancing the dealer does? What other services does the dealer do that I can't do myself?

Charles.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just curious. I skipped the first service, changed the oil and adjusted the valves myself... but I think there's some throttle body balancing the dealer does? What other services does the dealer do that I can't do myself?

Charles.
You’ve already probably done more than they do - esp. valves. It’s all in the Owners Manual what they are supposed to do. Whether they actually do it all........??
Ben

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually, you can easily balance the throttle bodies yourself. I just did mine at the 600-mile initial service yesterday. All you need is a U-tube manometer out of PVC tube. My front cylinder was pulling a 3 cm higher vacuum than the rear (picture) and I brought it down to within 0.5 cm by backing out the adjusting screw just 1/8 turn.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh shoot, I can do that with my carb sync gauges. I thought it was some kind of computerized hookup bullshit they needed to do to work on any aspect of the EFI. This is excellent.

Charles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Oh shoot, I can do that with my carb sync gauges. I thought it was some kind of computerized hookup bullshit they needed to do to work on any aspect of the EFI. This is excellent.

Charles.
If you already have gauges, it won't take you 15 minutes. :grin2:
There are two air bleed screws, one on each side of the throttle body assembly. I can't remember if one's got white paint on it or not. That's the "base" or "Control" screw. Turn the other one to balance. It won't take much, if it even needs it at all.
As for vacuum hookups, one throttle bore has one fitting capped off and the other a hose connected to it. I made an adapter for the latter using a t-fitting and a short piece of tubing. Plugged the existing hose into the adapter, the balancer to the 2nd fitting on the T and the short hose to connect the T to the throttle body.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts