Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap pair of clear smoke hand deflectors on my SCR950. They're good for keeping the wind off my hands... actually, they're EXCELLENT at keeping the wind off my hands. I put them on thinking I'd only want them for the winter months, but I've enjoyed having them on the bike in all seasons. So now I'm thinking I'd really like a pair of guards that do more than just protect my hands from wind, I want a pair that will keep my hands safe when exploring off-road as well. What are people using? Got pics?

Thanks!

Charles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a cheap pair of clear smoke hand deflectors on my SCR950. They're good for keeping the wind off my hands... actually, they're EXCELLENT at keeping the wind off my hands. I put them on thinking I'd only want them for the winter months, but I've enjoyed having them on the bike in all seasons. So now I'm thinking I'd really like a pair of guards that do more than just protect my hands from wind, I want a pair that will keep my hands safe when exploring off-road as well. What are people using? Got pics?

Thanks!

Charles.
Do you have a link to the ones you're using?

I'll be riding all through Winter and desperately need to grab a pair, but reviews of the ones I've looked at say they don't anything for wind, just debris.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Do you have a link to the ones you're using?

I'll be riding all through Winter and desperately need to grab a pair, but reviews of the ones I've looked at say they don't anything for wind, just debris.
I tried the PowerMadd Stars, but I felt they were a little small. I then put on a pair of PowerMadd Sentinels. They both have removable vent covers for cold weather. They both offer small mirrors that attach to the outer edge. The Star mirrors were so small they were completely useless. The Sentinel mirrors are bigger, but I still look over my shoulder. The mounts are really nice square stock aluminum and don't slip. The clutch side went right on, but the throttle side required sliding the twist grip farther up the handlebars. I didn't like the look, so I cut the stock mirror perch in half. Fits A LOT better and looks WAAAAY better as well. BTW, I mounted 4" LED strips on the back side for running lights/turn signals. These are only air deflectors, NOT guards. Charles may want to look into a set of Barkbusters. I have found that a good pair of heated gloves works best! Do a search for my previous post with pics. Good luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got these Barkbusters: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...handguard-mount-kit-6mm-and-8mm-threaded-bars
because they were the cheapest I could find at the time I was shopping (they are no longer on sale on RevZilla though).

They do the job. They're pretty big. Pain in the butt to install (had to tap the handlebars). I still need good gloves on days when the temps are below 50°F and I'm taking the highway, but they certainly have made a difference. I used to scream on cold days. Fortunately the tires scream more loudly so nobody could have noticed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you find the left one loosens itself with vibration? I have bar-end mirrors on my V65, and the left one is always coming loose. If I get these, I'm debating tapping a reverse thread for the left side...

Charles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you find the left one loosens itself with vibration? I have bar-end mirrors on my V65, and the left one is always coming loose. If I get these, I'm debating tapping a reverse thread for the left side...

Charles.
Weren't the V65's smooth as butter, something about a 90 degree twin and primary balance and the second 90's secondary cancelling the first ones secondary so you're left with only something or the other … I forget.
I rode a sabre V45 on a test drive, it was smooth, but then so was I, cos it was 20+ yrs ago, and that bugger had the worst torque steer I had ever felt, I thought I had an extra rib on my left side for weeks afterward.
I gotta do guards on the SCR soon, so I got some crap off china ebay. Hope it gets here before next winter and I've sold the scrtlob.
Tomorrow I get to ride it back from work and its gonna bea whopping 49 degrees when I do. Yea it was 70+ today but pouring rain, so I hitched a ride back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts