Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

561 - 580 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been absent a while, really busy with work, family, and have been spending most of my spare time wrenching on my old KLR getting it back up to snuff. I finally got around to adding the protection to my SCR. Looks? Function? Who knows, but I like it all. Added a headlight grill, air box fender, engine guards, new and much louder horn, and the OEM skid plate.

Sorry to see you leave the SCR clan @eddie.

Awesome stuff! I'm getting my Frehling engine guards soon because that was recommended as compatible with the OEM skidplate. May I ask which headlight grills you got and how easy installment was?

Might be hard to see but I installed the New Rage Cycle 360 LED lights with the running light mod included. Really cleans up the front!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Awesome stuff! I'm getting my Frehling engine guards soon because that was recommended as compatible with the OEM skidplate. May I ask which headlight grills you got and how easy installment was?

Might be hard to see but I installed the New Rage Cycle 360 LED lights with the running light mod included. Really cleans up the front!
Those lights look good. Are they visible in the daytime?

It’s the Hepco Becker headlight grill. Motor machines sells them in the US. Super easy install, insert a rubber bumper, remove two bolts, stick it in, reinstall two bolts.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hooted it up on some logging trails outside of Sunriver, OR the other week. Plenty of fun to be had on this bike!
I would have had to hire riggers to get my SCR in that location. I'm convinced that anyone who offroads an SCR could probably do the same with a Road Glide Ultra. I have way more years riding off-road than on the road, and I don't like taking this thing across my yard. I think it's due to my short legs. I cannot touch flat foot, so it doesn't take much for it to cop a lean. I've almost dropped it a few times...... The SCR is a pavement pounder for me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Saw some Hagons they designed specifically for the Bolt (XV950 over here) going cheap on eBay last week, so snapped them up. The seller was hardtailing his Bolt!

Full details of the Hagon Bolt shocks here:

https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/mods-and-accessories/hagon-shocks-usa/105/

Basically, they’re 280mm eye to eye, so slightly longer than stock (but not quite as long as the OEM shocks + the Baron risers), but have a lot more travel than the stockers. I like to think they’ll be better quality shocks as well. It also means I’ve now got an adjustment spanner, as I didn’t get one with the bike! :grin2:

Anyway, got them fitted today. Off with the Baron risers (that would have been too tall!). Looks good I think - hopefully get to try them out soon. Other priorities mean I haven’t been out on the bike in nearly a month now.....:frown2:
Ben

Reactions: TonyKZ1

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m 6’2” so no issues putting a foot down. I don’t think I’ve ever had it over 35 on gravel or dirt, just poking around and seeing where I can take it!

Hooted it up on some logging trails outside of Sunriver, OR the other week. Plenty of fun to be had on this bike!
I would have had to hire riggers to get my SCR in that location. I'm convinced that anyone who offroads an SCR could probably do the same with a Road Glide Ultra. I have way more years riding off-road than on the road, and I don't like taking this thing across my yard. I think it's due to my short legs. I cannot touch flat foot, so it doesn't take much for it to cop a lean. I've almost dropped it a few times...... The SCR is a pavement pounder for me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Seat looks well @SCRBen 👌 I've been I the thought process for a couple of months about making a single seat or a flat track design. You know me, I love to tinker 😆
Aye, s’alright, innit?? :laugh:
I’m especially pleased with it, given I didn’t really like the design when Corbin first released it. If I’d have had a choice, I might have still preferred the more touring-oriented Gunslinger version. But, how many times is an SCR-specific Corbin saddle going to appear on eBay in the U.K.?! I dare say, you’d be unlikely to see another. Added to which, it was a half-decent price, and I got him down a further 70 quid, cos I went and collected it in person, and bartered with him.
Got to try it last night too - just a quick run to Sherburn, but it does seem very comfy.
Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well today was the first warm day we've had for a while, so decided to take the bike out for a blast. Visited a few biker cafes and spoke to a great bunch of guys who had never seen the SCR950 before. Lots of great comments, one guy thought it was a custom job. Couldn't believe it that Yamaha made such a great looking bike, loved my little mods and said that they complimented the bike... happy days

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fighting back issues, I have ridden my SCR less than 100 miles in a month. So, I took a deep breath and traded it in on a new/leftover 2018 NC750X Honda...
I think this is God's way of telling me I should've kept the Yamaha.
I was almost all in on either a nc700 or nc750, if I could've found the latter in my price range, then I saw the SCR950 existed off a bulletproof bolt powertrain. For easily 2-3k less than the Honda. I took the bait and got the retro styling that makes me feel all warm inside. But after a couple hundred miles still wondering if I would've been better off on the Honda. I love the frunk and the option for dct bike is pretty cool. Plus all the aftermarket for that bike is nuts in comparison. Sigh I'm rambling but I'd like to hear some updates on the Honda and how it's treating you since the trade in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was almost all in on either a nc700 or nc750, if I could've found the latter in my price range, then I saw the SCR950 existed off a bulletproof bolt powertrain. For easily 2-3k less than the Honda. I took the bait and got the retro styling that makes me feel all warm inside. But after a couple hundred miles still wondering if I would've been better off on the Honda. I love the frunk and the option for dct bike is pretty cool. Plus all the aftermarket for that bike is nuts in comparison. Sigh I'm rambling but I'd like to hear some updates on the Honda and how it's treating you since the trade in.
But you look sooooooomuch cooler on this bike. Chalk it up to the cost of being awesome.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Old thread resurrection time!

So.....I’ve had the bike 3 years now. In the UK, when a vehicle reaches 3, its eligible for its first MOT (Ministry of Transport) test.....yes, I live in Orwell’s 1984......

Anyway, I know you guys in the States just let any old jalopy on the road (****, @Schu posts pictures of half of them on here!!), but over here, where sanity prevails, every year (once a vehicle is 3 years or older), you have to tootle along to your local MOT station, and pay £30 for them to give it the once-over, and check it’s “roadworthiness”.

She passed (obviously), but I did get an ‘advisory’ (basically, a ticking off), for having a louder than stock exhaust. The Akrapovic is currently fitted.....I casually said to the tester “you should hear it with the other one on” (i.e. the Danmoto). :grin2:

Also got an advisory for what they thought was a slightly warped front disc, but then told me it’s pretty much negligible, and could just be due to the temperature. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anything .....I think they just look for something to write down.....:frown2:

Anyway, thats the Govnt all satisfied for another year.....

Ben

·
Registered
225 Posts
Also got an advisory for what they thought was a slightly warped front disc, but then told me it’s pretty much negligible, and could just be due to the temperature. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anything .....I think they just look for something to write down.....:frown2:
Honestly kind of want to check this out on mine. Not like the ride was ever the smoothest but lately the handlebar wobble has increased a little bit between 40-50mph and even at 60mph I can't tell if it's the road or my ride making me bounce a little.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Honestly kind of want to check this out on mine. Not like the ride was ever the smoothest but lately the handlebar wobble has increased a little bit between 40-50mph and even at 60mph I can't tell if it's the road or my ride making me bounce a little.
Have you got the means to raise the front of the bike, so you can rotate the wheel, and have a look?

Someone will be along shortly to tell you to change your headrace bearings soon, too....

Even though I don’t really believe I have an issue, I’m going to check it out the next time the bikes’ on the lift anyway.
Ben

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I know you guys in the States just let any old jalopy on the road (****, @Schu posts pictures of half of them on here!!), but over here, where sanity prevails, every year (once a vehicle is 3 years or older), you have to tootle along to your local MOT station, and pay £30 for them to give it the once-over, and check it’s “roadworthiness”.

Ben
I don't even attempt to ride my old bikes on the road, legally. But that makes me wonder about what one would have to do to legally drive a 50 year old car like my Malibu over there in the U.K. Would it have to pass a current emissions test? Or does the MOT have exceptions for old classic cars?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't even attempt to ride my old bikes on the road, legally. But that makes me wonder about what one would have to do to legally drive a 50 year old car like my Malibu over there in the U.K. Would it have to pass a current emissions test? Or does the MOT have exceptions for old classic cars?
Yeah, 40 year+ vehicles are exempt from the MOT test, as well as road tax!

There’s going to be areas in central London though where you wouldn’t be able to go, due to emissions, without paying a fee. In fact, I think it’s already in place (ULEZ - Ultra Low Emission Zone, I believe), and I’m sure other cities will follow.
Ben

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah, 40 year+ vehicles are exempt from the MOT test, as well as road tax!

There’s going to be areas in central London though where you wouldn’t be able to go, due to emissions, without paying a fee. In fact, I think it’s already in place (ULEZ - Ultra Low Emission Zone, I believe), and I’m sure other cities will follow.
Ben
ULEZ... hmmm..... sounds more like a lesbian dating site! 😜
Seriously, I wonder how the government uses the fee money to combat emissions!? Sounds a lot like our government! Poor Schu would go broke riding all those old 2 strokes over there!!!🤯 jevers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
ULEZ... hmmm..... sounds more like a lesbian dating site! 😜
LOL - they’re everywhere I tell you, everywhere!! :grin2:

Lezzas that is, not two-strokes.....no-ones persisting with that ****! :laugh:

Ben

561 - 580 of 604 Posts