Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received my reflashed ECU from Ivan today. He tuned it and shipped it back to me the day it arrived and I can't recommend it enough. The improvements it brought to the bike are phenomenal - no jerky throttle response, no more popping on deceleration, and some nice power gains! Next up: get the cobra power flow intake + new tires (thinking Continental Trail Attack 2s)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....

Took the SCR for its annual service today, so I could get my pants pulled down by the dealer, and look what they lent me for a few hours.....

Have you guys in the US caught up with the rest of the world yet? It’s a Tracer 700 there too now, right??

What a lovely engine......’only’ 75bhp (a handy 50% hike on our bikes tho), but such a light, flickable bike. Not too fast, but fast enough when you want it to be, cracking off nice overtakes you know would be difficult on the SCR, etc.....

I wouldn’t buy a Tracer, but it’s the same engine in the X-Tribute I’ve lusted over for a while.......****.

Not only that, but taking a test ride automatically enters me in a competition to win one, and, cos it’s Yamahas 65th anniversary, I got an anniversary t-shirt and ‘History of Yamaha’ brochure too!!

I’m a sucker for such marketing/commemorative shite......happy days!! :grin2:

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
We are so far behind we only have the 900. Quess Yamaha did their research and came to the conclusion that people in the US would not buy that bike. No loss. 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT - Studio Red
For men

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I briefly considered a Tracer 900 back when my SCR had its little trip around the corner without me (https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/6...rs-registry-check-area/5160-i-got-jacked.html). If was getting ready to spend as much money as a Tracer 900 would cost me, I don't think I would make it my first choice. If the 700 was available here, that would be a different story, manhood be danged.
What’s really funny is I’m pretty well acquainted with the 900 Tracer, as the old boy had one for a couple of years. We even borrowed it for a two-up trip down to Silverstone for the British Moto GP.

Not only that, I had an XSR900 myself before the SCR, so have experience of the triple engine in a couple of guises. Verdict......?
The 700 twin powerplant for me every time now........
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I bought some stainless steel wire mesh off eBay a few months back with visions of making my own headlight protector.
That project fizzled out after I had a good, sturdy mount for it then realized,
"How am I going to clean bugs off the headlight lense ?"

Today, I got to tinkering and came up with a use for the mesh.
I cut a few narrow pieces using aircraft snips and sandwiched them between the heat shields and their mounts.
While I was doing that, I decided to black out the battery cover strap while the neighbor's cat supervised. LOL
I'm resurrecting one of eddies old threads on adding wire mesh under the heat shields. I ordered the mesh and will make it one of my weekend projects since it's too cold to ride. I always thought it looked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm resurrecting one of eddies old threads on adding wire mesh under the heat shields. I ordered the mesh and will make it one of my weekend projects since it's too cold to ride. I always thought it looked great.
It does look good 👍

Let us know how it goes.

Ben

·
Registered
251 Posts
That'll look pretty sharp! I did a similar mod on my Indian Scout by adding metal grating in front of the radiator and behind the existing plastic guard. Gives it a bit more personality.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It does look good ��

Let us know how it goes.

Ben
It's done. I don't like the mesh I bought as much as I do the stuff Eddie used. He bought his from the U.K., and I found similar mesh size here in the states, but the weave looks different. I still like it better than the open ovals.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's done. I don't like the mesh I bought as much as I do the stuff Eddie used. He bought his from the U.K., and I found similar mesh size here in the states, but the weave looks different. I still like it better than the open ovals.
Now THAT looks good! Next holes to mesh are the sidecovers? Skidplate? Jevers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Nah, that’s looks good! Obviously, Eddie had an advantage getting his gear from the UK, but even so......!! :grin2::grin2:

(am I allowed to say such a thing......:laugh: )

Does the way you mounted it mean it’s going to keep away from the actual pipe though, and not scratch it?

Ben

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nah, that’s looks good! Obviously, Eddie had an advantage getting his gear from the UK, but even so......!! :grin2::grin2:

(am I allowed to say such a thing......:laugh: )

Does the way you mounted it mean it’s going to keep away from the actual pipe though, and not scratch it?

Ben
It shouldn't scratch the pipe. I cut the mesh narrower than the heat shield and long enough that it extends over the screw holes. I bent the mesh into a curve to match the shield and then sandwiched it between the welded standoffs and the heat shield. So it is suspended off the exhaust pipe.

It was a PIA to do. The narrow shape was so narrow that the mesh wanted to come undone. It is not a welded wire mesh. It is simply woven. When I zoom in on eddies mesh, it appears to be a different style and may hold together better. Mine will be fine now that it is installed, but it was questionable when cutting and shaping.

I am going to find a way to lay it over the side plate ovals from the backside. Maybe glue a plastic nut between the ovals and fasten it with a single plastic screw. Got plenty of leftover mesh.

Reactions: SCRBen

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Done......
I think I like it.:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
So. Did you do that plastic nut/screw thing? Any pics? Nicely done, BTW!
I bought the plastic fasteners and glue, but chose to use 3M double sided tape. I wanted it to be completely reversible without a trace if I didn't like it. So I cut the mesh and sandwiched it between the 3M tape. It ain't going nowhere. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
No riding today but I read this complete thread. I'm liking the look of the mesh mod. Next stop today will be searching for some.

Anyway posting this just to see if I can. I posted in the "introductions" thread for newbs and it hasn't been posted so I'm hoping someone let's me know the secret handshake to get in....

·
Registered
369 Posts
No riding today but I read this complete thread. I'm liking the look of the mesh mod. Next stop today will be searching for some.

Anyway posting this just to see if I can. I posted in the "introductions" thread for newbs and it hasn't been posted so I'm hoping someone let's me know the secret handshake to get in....
You are in !!!

581 - 600 of 604 Posts