Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some feed back.
When I go to just pick up a little speed, like accelerating from 40-55mph, I keep hearing this whine/whistle noise that sounds like its coming from under the seat?
For awhile I thought it was my helmet, but is definitely not.
Could it be the belt? This is the only belt drive thing I have ever owned. I don’t know what it’s supposed to sound like.
My GPz 550 all you can hear is the chain.

Also, what’s with the weird rubber wedge things behind the rear belt pulley? What the heck?

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
2nd Bobcat on the tire OEM tire whine sound and the cush drive wedges.
It's fine to put a little Armor-all or other protectant in the slots where the pulley hub plugs into it.
I usually just spritz a rag or paper towel and give them a light wiping down before reinstalling the wheel.

Whatever you do, do not put anything on the belt. (i.e. Armor-all, "belt dressing, WD-40, etc.)

A belt can whine a little bit when wet and possibly make a slight noise after having washed the bike.
Those sounds are minor and will go away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The O.E.M. tires whine. I believe that's
what you are describing. The rubber wedges are cushions for the final drive
2nd Bobcat on the tire OEM tire whine sound and the cush drive wedges.
It's fine to put a little Armor-all or other protectant in the slots where the pulley hub plugs into it.
Hmm, noise has countinued thru three different rear tires & four front and no change.
It must just be the belt drive, I’m assuming.
I’ll have to find somthing else with a belt to ride and compare.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hmm, noise has countinued thru three different rear tires & four front and no change.
Thanks for the input.
I've always been suspicious that the whining humming noise is actually a harmonic vibration coming from somewhere on the chassis of the bike that only becomes "excited" when a certain set of criteria is met.

I believe it was the old Pontiac Grand Am that used to have a little post sticking out off the catalytic converter to act as a vibration dampener to eliminate an aggravating howl noise that would emanate from the exhaust system.

We had a chain conveyor at work with a vibration issue. I tested that same arrangement by extending a long rod from the main structure with which we clamped a round weight to and were able to reposition the weight along the length of the rod. We found a sweet spot that completely dampened the vibration. I'm thinking it's something similar to that scenario.

Ooph... That's a lot of big words for a guy like me......and I probably misapplied most of them. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks for the input.
How are you tensioning and aligning your belt? Is it overtight? Do you use a proper tension gauge? Is it straight (the guides on the swingarm are OK, but not great - I use a laser alignment tool)?

Ben

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Intake sucking in more air when you crack the throttle open?
Could be that, yeah, but surely you would know, esp. if it’s an aftermarket item? I can’t remember the OEM item making any noise. What intake have you got? As per my original review of it, the K&N sounds like it’s trying to rip out any nearby lampposts when you give it some.
Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE

]I'm not sure about the whining noise but I'm curious if it's related to the belt and not tires. By the way, since you've had several sets of tires on the bike, what have been your experiences with your replacement tires and how many miles do you have on the bike? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure about the whining noise but I'm curious if it's related to the belt and not tires. By the way, since you've had several sets of tires on the bike, what have been your experiences with your replacement tires and how many miles do you have on the bike? Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, still need to compare it to another belt drive. I’ve basically just been setting the tension on what I would call a pretty tight chain 7.5/10 on the over tightened chain scale?
I know there’s a right way to do it.
Someone please let me know.

Yeah the stock trail wings lasted about 8,000 miles. The first 4K was 90% city riding in Bay Area traffic under like 55mph. So they lasted a long time. Perfectly fine tire. Never felt like I really needed more street grip. Nice in town. Quite. Fine on dry dirt/gravel. The tread is to tight for mud and gets packed into a slick almost instantly.
From there I had a set of Dunlop d404’s that I got on a deal from a local shop. Turned out the deal was a Harley front tire on the back. And yeah... it basically disintegrated in less than 1,000 miles. So the shop graciously replaced them with a set of Bridgestone Battlax’s. I road those from Northern California to Michigan. Down to LA then across Nevada, Colorado, Utah, all the interesting places, and then Kansas... 6,500m. I literally got to where I was going, passed out and then the next morning the back tire was flat and wouldn’t even hold air. They were dead. Completely dead, like 2/3rd’s of the whole tire was just cupped out. I had originally planned on getting new rubber in Indianapolis. But didn’t happen.
I just put a set of Shinko 805/804’s on. Their barely broken in yet. I probably have less than 400 miles on them at this point.
So You’d think going from the Bridgestone to the Shinko would be like a crazy difference but it’s really not. You can definitely tell it’s a knobbie on the road, But for a knobbie it gets great street grip at speed. Hard acceleration out of a tight slow turn will break it loose. The battleax’s were basically impossible to over power.
But for a 800pound machine that only makes 40hp with 30° of lean what do you really need? I can out ride the bike way faster than any of these tires. The 805s are crazy soft too. I’ve already excepted that the lifespan on these is probably less than 4000miles. I’d think you could probably get 5 just around town not abusing them.
Its worth it to me. I do a lot of exploring on this bike. Lots of logging roads, fire roads, cutting thru yards, etc. I will say that they do not like the rain! Wet is ok. But raining, standing water stuff it’s not having it. You have to be super gentle with the roll on in the rain. That being said.. it is also the only tire I’ve really been able to do rolling burn outs on with the bike. Lol
I think I’m about half way thru 15,000miles so far. I swear I’ve never seen a drop of oil disappear out of this bike. 10-40half blend. Every 3k or so. Wash the air filter occasionally. I’ve never synced the throttle bodies... I really need too I’m curious. I checked the valves around 13k. And they were all still in spec. I did change one exuhust valve just to be the same as the other. But they were both still in spec tolerances. I really enjoy this bike. It’s been good to me. I just need more ground clearance/lean angle and 100 pounds lighter. This was supposed to be my commuter but is growing on me. Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I took my scr out for a test ride there was a whining noise at about 60mph...I suspect mine was the belt as it had only done 198 miles when I bought it. It no longer makes that noise now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up my new bike yesterday and it makes a whining/howling noise that seems to be coming from the rear. Only does it from about 33-38 mph. Would it be the rear tire?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I just picked up my new bike yesterday and it makes a whining/howling noise that seems to be coming from the rear. Only does it from about 33-38 mph. Would it be the rear tire?
Stock tires are ridiculously loud, but I only noticed them at speeds higher than those. Might be worth checking belt alignment/tension?
Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I'll have to get a gauge and check the tension. Just took it out again to listen to the noise. Was actually able to hear it at a low level as low as 10mph. It also seemed to be almost as loud in the 40's and 50's this time. When I got up to 65-70 I feel like I heard a sound that was definitely the tires but wasn't that loud. The sound I'm worried about almost sounds like it's a gear or bearing whining noise coming from underneath me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have had my bike to the dealer twice now for this. The first guy said my belt was way too tight (which was set by them) and loosened it. Didn't do a **** thing. Had it there yesterday and a different guy said it was too loose now and tightened it back up. After his test ride he told me that it was a little quieter now. It sounds the exact same. He also said to finish the break in period and see if it still makes the noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts