Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Whats your limit for cold weather riding?

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  JRX 
#1 ·
Well.... Looks like my scr is going to hibernate for 4 months or so. Unless I get any days over the winter that are close to50 deg... Im about done. In northern illinois here so its going to prob sit now until spring. How about everyone else. What temp do you ride in until it gets too cold?

#3 ·
I have heated gear so not really a limit. rode to work this morning 30 degrees :)

#5 ·
Low 40's this morning for me but luckily it's only a 30min commute to work. I've got the Icon DKR jacket so I close up all the vents and wear either a sweater or flannel underneath. Some thermals under my pants that are tucked into my socks. Boots and full face helmet do a good job keeping those areas protected, but I've got the leather perforated gloves that are not cutting it. Will definitely switch them out for a pair of winter gloves in the next month or two and also pick up a scarf or something similar.

Early next year I'll be seeing some mornings that are in the mid-high 20's and I'm not looking forward to it, but it's FL so layering usually takes care of most problems.

#11 ·
I rode in 0 degrees in the northeast out of necessity. However, when I went to unlock my discbrake lock, the key snapped. So then I used a piece of steel and prayed the lock until it snapped. I had to ride to an hour to a courthouse (long story). I had no windshield. The trick is tons of layers and no exposed skin, uncomfortable but I made it there and back. Oh yeah, and I was on a Ural, would probably not have made it on a normal bike.

#13 ·
Spring in full swing in U.K. now, probably first day that I felt I needed lighter gloves.
I use my bike everyday on a 10 mile round trip and wanted to make this and other rides more comfortable.
Keis heated gloves and handguards plus givi adventure muffs for longer rides. Took a while to overcome obstacles like built in weights Yamaha stuffed in handle bars. I think I could now use SCR in near freezing conditions but for now I will take the coming summer and test mods later.
Sleeve Glove Font Personal protective equipment Sportswear
Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

#15 ·
Look at those Gators....... Ugh!
Odyoa you did that on purpose.

#16 ·
Until quite recently, I commuted all year round for 20-odd yrs on my Africa Twin, albeit here in southern UK it rarely gets much below freezing. But even at freezing, or a few degrees above, it's still cold on the hands, and having cold hands is miserable. So I put Oxford Hot Grips on the 'bars.... they certainly made a difference, but really only warmed-up my palms (unless I held onto the grips using a strange, claw-like posture). The bike also had OEM brush guards which I guess deflected some of the cold air away from my hands. Then came the revelation.... heated gloves. So much better than heated grips, they keep hands beautifully warm. They're made by Gerbing and can be wired to the bike's battery or used with small independent batteries which last up to around 3 hours before a re-charge is needed. Otherwise, I stay warm enough with lined Goretex gear.
Now I work at home I sort of miss the year-round bike commute.

#17 ·
Obviously those are library pictures, as promised all future pictures will be gator perfect!
Markvb heated gloves imho definitely beat heated grips and of course if you have more then one bike are far better value, you can obviously wear them for other tasks too. I'm sure the muffs are THE game changer if I choose to do a long cold rider.
Having spent much money on bike specific accessories I now try to buy products that can be used on multiple bikes.

#18 ·
I can attest to the Gerbings gloves and the rest of their gear, top notch! I bought a complete suit from the gloves to the socks. Been out as low as 7° F, comfortably. The only thing I would do differently is to buy the insoles in place of the socks as they are a little uncomfortable to walk on with the old technology wires. Jevers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.