Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Spy shot from DMC sidecars in Seattle (even blurry like a spy shot), sent from a buddy whose son works there. Someone is gonna have a very cool sidecar rig . . .
Oh my! That is cool, but I'm afraid she's going to be horribly underpowered. Sidecars rob a lot of power and as we are aware of, our beloved SCRs don't have much to spare. Still cool, though! Thanks for sharing that pic. Jevers

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was thinking something similar.
It's gonna be slow and "How is it gonna keep from overheating?"
That lead me to consider two modifications I know nothing about in regards to the Bolt/SCR 950:
An external oil cooler and a chain drive conversion to get the sidecar rig a little better pulling power.
After seeing several custom Bolts prior to the SCR's creation that sported chains, if there isn't a specific conversion "kit"
for our bikes, are there other Yamaha V-twins that share components for which conversions have been made that will fit?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be fine in the power department. I have a buddy - in fact the one that sent me this - who has a sidecar rig on a KLR. If he can do it, the SCR can certainly do it. Will it be a speed demon? No, but it is a sidecar rig, it isn’t supposed to be. But it will handle the roads just fine, and honestly we don’t know what the owner is planning to do with it. Interstate may not be awesome, but 2 lane highway roads would be neat.

Anyone have an scr or heard of a bolt overheating? Honest question because I do think that could be a concern depending on how it’s ridden and I wonder under what circumstances this engine overheats.

Also, on a side note, it cracks me up how different communities of riders approach the hp question. I’ve owned bikes from 23 hp all the way up to 135 hp and toured on each of them. I actually was looking for a 50 hp bike when I got the SCR, that is just about right for me and my personal gold standard. I just came off of a CRF250L, and I feel like I have oodles of power, then I get here and everyone complains about how underpowered these bikes are. All relative I suppose, and perhaps a function of being over 50 as well. A lot less desire for lots of hp these days, more desire to stop and smell the roses. Or manure, ya know, depending on where I’m riding.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my opinion the Bolt engine is in no danger of overheating its 4+ quarts of sump oil. The limited data I have so far shows an operating range of 167 to 205 deg.F, depending on air temperature. The engine sump temperature was measured with an IR pyrometer after riding 20 miles at highway speeds.

For comparison, my Jeep has an engine oil cooler and runs 188 - 220 deg.F. This is an optimum range to vaporize harmful condensates that form after short trips.

I’ll keep collecting data into the summer and see what happens when it’s over 100 deg.F outside. Not uncommon here in Arizona. By then I will have completed engine break-in and switched to Yamalube 15W-50 Full Synthetic as a precaution.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
As for the sidecar, the Owner's Manual states on p.2-4:
* This vehicle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar.

So I guess Yamaha assumes no liability and it's proceed at your own risk.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that statement isn't worth a whole lot. Really just the start of the convo as far as liability is concerned. They also say it isn't for offroad riding but market it as a . . . wait for it . . . scrambler.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
As for the sidecar, the Owner's Manual states on p.2-4:
* This vehicle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar.

So I guess Yamaha assumes no liability and it's proceed at your own risk.
One of our forum members who disappeared awhile back is still trying to sell his sidecar at a greatly reduced price.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/d/miami-sidecar-plus-bike-maybe/6798033635.html
I don't think that any bike is designed for a sidecar, other than a Ural or a Harley ( back when they were producing their own). It's just that some bikes are better suited to handle a sidecar better than others. Power, weight, drivetrain and the physical size of the potential tug are all factors. Each to his own. The SCR does have a full exposed frame for easy mounting and should have enough torque to pull around a small sidecar. It will be interesting to see how the belt drive holds up, though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. This is my first belt drive bike. What are the sorts of things that stress out a belt drive?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Reactions: Dread

·
Registered
884 Posts
In my opinion the Bolt engine is in no danger of overheating its 4+ quarts of sump oil. The limited data I have so far shows an operating range of 167 to 205 deg.F, depending on air temperature. The engine sump temperature was measured with an IR pyrometer after riding 20 miles at highway speeds.
(snip).
What I was thinking:
A sidecar rig engine is constantly under a load: Sort of like going uphill all the time. It may not be going 80mph, but is making the heat at a slower speed without the same cooling air. Shorter rides ought to be okay. A longer trip might get a bit stressful on things. In addition to an oil cooler, a reflash to richen the mixture up a little could help, maybe.

** I'm with you on the benefits of full-syn. oil. I ran it in my 1200 Sportster. Each day, I would do several miles of stop & go, hit the interstate for 5, stop at a long light at my work exit and then immediately pull off an into the parking garage. I never saw more than 210F on the oil tank dipstick thermometer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Underpowered?

Oh my! That is cool, but I'm afraid she's going to be horribly underpowered. Sidecars rob a lot of power and as we are aware of, our beloved SCRs don't have much to spare. Still cool, though! Thanks for sharing that pic. Jevers
My Best friend has a Ural, which only has 41 hp and 42 ft-lbs of torque maximum output, and weighs about 505 lbs. without the sidecar, 730 with the sidecar.

The stock specs I read for the SCR950 shows 51hp, 56 ft-lbs of torque, and about 540 pounds dry. So, I think the SCR950 shouldn't have a problem handling a sidecar if the Ural can. Although his bike is pretty slow, I always thought it was the just the way he rides :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Silvax said:
My Best friend has a Ural, which only has 41 hp and 42 ft-lbs of torque maximum output, and weighs about 505 lbs. without the sidecar, 730 with the sidecar.

The stock specs I read for the SCR950 shows 51hp, 56 ft-lbs of torque, and about 540 pounds dry. So, I think the SCR950 shouldn't have a problem handling a sidecar if the Ural can.
Just one question though, is the Ural water- or air-cooled?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Silvax said:

The stock specs I read for the SCR950 shows 51hp, 56 ft-lbs of torque, and about 540 pounds dry. So, I think the SCR950 shouldn't have a problem handling a sidecar if the Ural can.
Just one question though, is the Ural water- or air-cooled?
Air cooled. Urals are the gold ( or should I say lead?)
standard for under powered unreliability. Granted, they have gotten a little bit better over time, but I still wouldn't own one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s mine!

Hi all! I haven’t laid eyes on the rig yet. I bought the bike in Seattle and left it there for DMC to do their magic on it. I’ll be taking it back up to AK this spring when the weather thaws.

The backstory is that I’d been looking to get into sidecars for a while, but wasn’t sure how much I’d like it or how I would use it. Thought about going the ural route for a long time but there are no dealers up here, and I thought if I had to ship one I might as well have one built based on a more reliable bike with a better dealer network. I realize the SCR may not be ideal as a tug, but it was a decent displacement torquey v twin, I liked the looks, and it was very cheap new. Figured this would get me into sidecars, let me know what I want/need in a rig, and then I’d replace it after a couple years.

Until then, it will be wandering AK where it may see an 80 degree day in the middle of summer but will likely be stuck doing a LOT of cold weather duty. Much of our roads up here are improved dirt/gravel and my biggest concern is the belt drive. But Harleys up here do the nasty roads too and don’t seem to suffer from chronic belt failures.

We’ll see how it goes and I’ll have to update with some ride reports once I pick it up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s mine!

Hi all! I haven’t laid eyes on the rig yet. I bought the bike in Seattle and left it there for DMC to do their magic on it. I’ll be taking it back up to AK this spring when the weather thaws.

The backstory is that I’d been looking to get into sidecars for a while, but wasn’t sure how much I’d like it or how I would use it. Thought about going the ural route for a long time but there are no dealers up here, and I thought if I had to ship one I might as well have one built based on a more reliable bike with a better dealer network. I realize the SCR may not be ideal as a tug, but it was a decent displacement torquey v twin, I liked the looks, and it was very cheap new. Figured this would get me into sidecars, let me know what I want/need in a rig, and then I’d replace it after a couple years.

Until then, it will be wandering AK where it may see an 80 degree day in the middle of summer but will likely be stuck doing a LOT of cold weather duty. Much of our roads up here are improved dirt/gravel and my biggest concern is the belt drive. But Harleys up here do the nasty roads too and don’t seem to suffer from chronic belt failures.

We’ll see how it goes and I’ll have to update with some ride reports once I pick it up.
Awesome and thanks for stopping by to let us know about your plans!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can add some ... I have/had a rig on mine.

I had an Inder sidecar on the SCR for quite a bit. It's currently detached because I like two wheels better, and I'm heading in a different direction for a different reason with the bike.

Power was absolutely fine. Gas mileage, not so much. Cut it by a third easily.

The only issue I had was extreme head shake. Some is normal for all rigs, but the rake on the SCR and the rig didn't play nice. I had to add a big-ass stabilizer, and it was fine after that.

Drag was a minor issue. All rigs pull left/right depending on speed, but it was exaggerated on the SCR. Arms will get a grand workout.

It was cool in many ways. *Everyone* will come up, stare, ask to sit in it, wish they could be your friend. Having a place to drop stuff into without schlepping a backpack was neat. But you will drive (notice I didn't say ride, you don't ride one of these) much slower. Seems to be the nature of rigs. Left turns are a hoot. Right ones can soil your pants. LOL!

Overall, the SCR is OK with a rig. It just wasn't for me. (Anyone want a slightly used rig for theirs? I have one for sale!)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I can add some ... I have/had a rig on mine.

I had an Inder sidecar on the SCR for quite a bit. It's currently detached because I like two wheels better, and I'm heading in a different direction for a different reason with the bike.

Power was absolutely fine. Gas mileage, not so much. Cut it by a third easily.

The only issue I had was extreme head shake. Some is normal for all rigs, but the rake on the SCR and the rig didn't play nice. I had to add a big-ass stabilizer, and it was fine after that.

Drag was a minor issue. All rigs pull left/right depending on speed, but it was exaggerated on the SCR. Arms will get a grand workout.

It was cool in many ways. *Everyone* will come up, stare, ask to sit in it, wish they could be your friend. Having a place to drop stuff into without schlepping a backpack was neat. But you will drive (notice I didn't say ride, you don't ride one of these) much slower. Seems to be the nature of rigs. Left turns are a hoot. Right ones can soil your pants. LOL!

Overall, the SCR is OK with a rig. It just wasn't for me. (Anyone want a slightly used rig for theirs? I have one for sale!)
Welcome back Higs!
I assumed you got all blowed away by the hurricane last year because you disappeared for like 6 months shortly afterwards.
Another theory was that you rode off.....excuse me....drove off with your side hack and couldn't find enough space to turn around!
Regardless, it's good to hear from you and glad you still got your SCR.
I think you may have been the founder of the WWFF club.
(Wrong Way Front Fender)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts