Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many on here had a long Drive to work and used there SCR950 to compensate for gas.
Was thinking if 33 miles one way to work was a to far to ride.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was wondering how many on here had a long Drive to work and used there SCR950 to compensate for gas.
Was thinking if 33 miles one way to work was a to far to ride.
For me, that's not far enough! Seriously, that is very doable. You have all day at work for your butt to heal!
Good luck! Jevers

·
Registered
229 Posts
100+ miles

I will soon be running 100+ miles 1 way from Irmo SC to Charlotte NC. It may not be every day, but there will be a week or 2-3 where it will be daily.
I did these Charlotte runs as I call em last year as well, that's how I got 4900 miles in just about 2 months of riding. My standard commute otherwise was 20 miles 1 way.
I now commute 5 miles from my house in Charlotte NC to like 1 zip code over in Charlotte.
I can feel the SCR-TloB essentially saying now "come-on you lazy wimp, I'm just getting warmed up".

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run just under 50 miles to work one way everyday. 100 miles a day. The bike is not even a year old and I have just under 15/K on it. It is truly a daily driver. My fuel bill went from over $550.00 a month driving my F-250 to about $105.00 a month! thats like a $400.00 a month raise plus I feel more comfortable riding the bike than the truck. (You either get it or you don't) Granted I live in AZ and the weather allows me to do this however the temp extremes can go from low 20's in the mornings to 120 in the afternoon, the pavement hits around 170 degrees and the hour ride home is like a sauna, I'm exhausted by the time I get home, it takes 2 to 3 Popsicle's to get my core temperature back down :^). anyway sorry for the rant....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heya, so I commute every weekday to work which is 27 miles one way and takes about 40-45min depending on traffic. It's usually a nice ride with most of it on a State Road and then the last few miles are in town.

With my car this was roughly $5 a day, but with my SCR I'm doing about $4-5 every two days. I typically fill up when I'm at 100 miles. So I guess I went from $25/week in gas to like $10-12?

Also, might be from all the miles I have on the SCR now, but I really have no comfort issues even riding with the stock seat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm never gonna catch up to you am I

I run just under 50 miles to work one way everyday. 100 miles a day. The bike is not even a year old and I have just under 15/K on it. It is truly a daily driver.....
I've put 5K after 6 month of ownership, but only 2 months of riding, that's the other problem with SC, too much rain and cold and BS for 3-4 months every yr.
I may put 10K in the next 6-7 months, barely getting to where you are now and then I'd have to store it, so, you'd likely have 15K more by this time next year, when I'd just be thawing the thing out after next winter.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I wonder if there is many that travel over 40 mins to get to work..
My ride is only 32 miles round trip and about 25 minutes each way. But I have been researching much longer routes that will take a lot more time without actually heading in the wrong direction. More like charting a course and tacking with the wind :grin2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
For a time I had a daily 50 miles/75-90 minutes (each way) commute, during which I finally bit the bullet and got a Corbin seat. Now I only have a 37 miles/40-60 minutes once or twice a week (thank you LORD!). The gas savings wasn't the primary reason I became a Motorcycle Guy™, the real reason was because I am impatient. I hate searching for a parking spot, and I love cutting lines and splitting lanes. #famouslastwords

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I hate searching for a parking spot, and I love cutting lines and splitting lanes. #famouslastwords
I understand hatred for the parking search.
Cutting lines will get you runoff the road one day.
But lane splitting is just INSANE no matter how you look at it.
I almost throw up watching lane splitting videos.

But obviously you know how to play the game with the amount of miles you put on.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FWIW, my butt never gets sore on my commute to and from work. Granted, it is exactly 1.1 miles each way! It's so close that I rarely ride in the morning. No place for my coffee mug, so when I go home for lunch, I take the SCR back to work when it's warm out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
My commute is only three and a half miles each way. So I turn the opposite direction from work when I leave to make it at least 5!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Am I the only guy who thinks the scr950 is the most comfortable bike I've ridden? The ergonomics must be right for me. I used to be crippled getting off my Hornet 900 and Bandit 1250, even with a repadded seat. I used to ride a 30 mile commute, 5 days a week for about 22 years until I moved house. I even did it in my early years on a Vespa PX200 which was a right nightmare in a head wind, that's when I decided I needed something a bit bigger and got a motorbike...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Am I the only guy who thinks the scr950 is the most comfortable bike I've ridden? The ergonomics must be right for me. I used to be crippled getting off my Hornet 900 and Bandit 1250, even with a repadded seat. I used to ride a 30 mile commute, 5 days a week for about 22 years until I moved house. I even did it in my early years on a Vespa PX200 which was a right nightmare in a head wind, that's when I decided I needed something a bit bigger and got a motorbike...
Personally, the SCR is a fairly comfortable bike, as long as I can stand up on the pegs while puttering through a small town. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam, so I tend to like taller bikes, but somehow I don't feel cramped. The roads are fairly dry here in Minnesota and it's going to get into the 50s and 60s today and tomorrow, so I saw fit not to go to work.
Ride today,
Flat track race tonight,
Ride tomorrow.
Cheers! Jevers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Personally, the SCR is a fairly comfortable bike, as long as I can stand up on the pegs while puttering through a small town. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam, so I tend to like taller bikes, but somehow I don't feel cramped. The roads are fairly dry here in Minnesota and it's going to get into the 50s and 60s today and tomorrow, so I saw fit not to go to work.
Ride today,
Flat track race tonight,
Ride tomorrow.
Cheers! Jevers
I'm 6'2" with a 34 " leg also.... I find that I've load of room to sit comfortably. I only stand on the peg over train tracks and hump back bridges, not thinking of taking off road. Perfectly happy 😁

·
Registered
693 Posts
I stand up on the pegs for 3 reasons.
1. So my spine doesn't have to act like a shock absorber!
2. To give my butt a rest!
3. To stretch my legs!
I'm no spring chicken, 54 hard ( read FUN! ) years old. My mind is 27, but my body is every bit of 54! Jevers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts