Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed an order for a stablemate to my SCR950 - a 2017 Yamaha SR400 single, freshly crated up for delivery from the CA warehouse. These little singles are a bit of a sleeper in the US market but having owned the almost identical SR500 thirty years ago I appreciate the fine points of this classic: light, nimble, reliable, economical, low seat height and easy to maintain. Just the thing to zip down to the local store while I save the big artillery for highway touring. The SR400 is very similar to the Suzuki TU250X I sold to get the SCR. Not long after I had seller's remorse after realizing these smaller bikes fit a delightful niche. The SR400 was available as limited edition in the classic 60th Anniversary Yamaha livery for 2016 but looks like I have to settle for the plain black 2017. Let's hope the SCR doesn't get jealous :wink2:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see pictures of the SCR950 and its stablemate once you take delivery. I believe the SR400 only comes in black? Though I have seen pictures of a while one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
very cool, would love to hear how you like it .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SR400 is a lovely little classic for those who appreciate simplicity and the reliability of a proven design. As I mentioned above, the SR400 is also lighter and more nimble for scooting around town compared to its heavier stablemate the SCR950. A picture is attached as per Eddie’s request

My purchase was mostly driven by nostalgia, trying to recreate fond memories of my SR500 in the 80’s, but kick starting soon became a liability with knees weakened by old age. Alas, I traded the SR for a Honda Pioneer 500 side x side more suited for we elderly folks. If the SR400 had electric start it would definitely have been a keeper.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very nice bike !

·
Registered
339 Posts
The SR400 is a lovely little classic for those who appreciate simplicity and the reliability of a proven design. As I mentioned above, the SR400 is also lighter and more nimble for scooting around town compared to its heavier stablemate the SCR950. A picture is attached as per Eddie’s request

My purchase was mostly driven by nostalgia, trying to recreate fond memories of my SR500 in the 80’s, but kick starting soon became a liability with knees weakened by old age. Alas, I traded the SR for a Honda Pioneer 500 side x side more suited for we elderly folks. If the SR400 had electric start it would definitely have been a keeper.
It's about time that people are jumping on that segment because right now i'm noticing more of a need for something not so entry-level to the point its good for short term ownership but instead something that can last a least a few years.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think it could be a lifetime bike, its a beauty. And yes, nostalgia plays a big part for me too.

Wish my SCR's back end looked like that, love the chain drive - maintenance or not.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ohhh your ownership was short lived if you've already traded in for something else. At least you sound like you enjoyed the Yamaha SR400 before the change.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it could be a lifetime bike, its a beauty. And yes, nostalgia plays a big part for me too.

Wish my SCR's back end looked like that, love the chain drive - maintenance or not.
I think it will be good enough to last us till electric cruisers come around because already they have proven to be the next best thing. The Harley Davidson Livewire was a great example of this. If Yamaha has plans to go that direction then they better make sure to beat Harley to the race.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts